EBA eggs/fry

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
well damn, I feel like **** now. Woke up this morning and seen that fungi had spread to the rest of the eggs. I should've waited longer and not been so hasty. Lesson learned; I do appreciate the knowledge though and I'll know better for next time. That didn't take long at all; dang fish were better parents than I was.
Don’t worry. Once they started breeding, they will repeat often. The caring parents appear to eat the eggs, but they are actually using their mouth to manipulate and clean out dead eggs.

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I agree that the pair will breed again and again if they stay healthy. Some things i have done to successfully raise fry when the parents eat the eggs or fry.
I have a second grow out tank set up and ready.
I move the substrate with the eggs into that tank.
I place an air bubbler fairly close to the eggs. I want some decent water movement around the eggs.
I add some methylene blue to the tank to try to keep down the fungus. caution this is a strong stain so be careful with it. Stains are permanent. on fingers it will last until you grow new skin.
As soon as the eggs show up, I boil some lettuce leaves in maybe a gallon of water then sit the water and boiled leaves aside. At room temperature the stuff will become what i know of as infusoria culture in a few days. Works better if you are a bachelor as the stuff will stink.

Back to the grow out tank holding the eggs. I like to use a decent sized tank but only have it partially filled. Say if it is a 30 gallon tank only have it maybe a third full at the start. When the eggs start to hatch out wait no more than a day as the fry likely will still be absorbing the yolk sac. Then pour a little bit of the infusoria solution into the tank partly rotted leaves included. Not too much. This can be the first foods for the fry. I usually feed with the infusoria for a few days.

After the first few days I like the have a brine shrimp culture going. I usually start the brine shrimp about the time i expect the eggs to hatch out.

An option for fine foods is an old personal coffee grinder I happen to have. The sort with grinding wheels and not the spinning blades. I grind some regular fish foods to a fine powder.

I also have used canned peas for say a few days to week + old fry. When i see them actively searching for food. Just squeeze the uncooked peas into the tank. throw in the skins is optional.

last thoughts. The partly fille start of the grow out tank allows for gradually adding fresh water over time so as to avoid the awkward option of trying to change water right away. Slowly dilutes the tank water and the blue dye.
I also like to have a mature sponge filter I can throw into a fry tank. Fry will often be seen grazing on a sponge filter.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store