breeding snakeheads.

boredcpl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
lawrencburg,indiana
does anyone have any suggestions on breeding snakeheads? someone i know has 2 red snakeheads they are trying to breed with no luck... they are in a monster tank about 300 gallons or more bow front tank.. they have an undergravel filter with 3 or more powerheads on top. they have a big cave to hide in and some plants floating around... water quality is tip top shape and cleaned daily if needed. any info will be appreciated and passed on to them.. thank you.

Timmy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
On Mother EARTH
To my knowledge no one has breed reds in the home size tank. If the tank only has an undergravle filter that could also be a problem, as they dont really filter...

boredcpl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
lawrencburg,indiana
this tank is in a fish store... they mainly use undergravel filters.. they have a main filter system through out the store but i dont think that tank is filtered... the water quility looks great.. and id say the water is the way they want it.. ph and hardness and stuff. but im wondering what ph they like and what they would need in the tank to help them feel comfortable to breed.. like plants and rocks.. any of you breeding these monsters let me know your tank setup.. gallons and ph level and so on. thanks for the replys so far.

ashdavid

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
Japan
Timmy said:
To my knowledge no one has breed reds in the home size tank. If the tank only has an undergravle filter that could also be a problem, as they dont really filter...
UGF are great biological filters, this statement is very misguided.

As for breeding snakeheads, are you sure they are not the same sex? Also what are their sizes? Is there any cover for them to retreat to?

boredcpl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
lawrencburg,indiana
sexes i dont know.. i dont know how to tell.. the fish store is very knowledgeable.. they breed piranhas and angels and many other fish.. but they have been trying to breed these for some time now..how can you tell the differents in sexes.. the fish are about a foot and a half long.. they have plants floating in the tank for cover.. they have a cave but it looks to small for them to go into..

ashdavid

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
Japan
It would be very hard to tell what sex they are at that small, not only that I doubt that they are able to breed at that size. I have heard that they are able to breed once they reach an age of about 3 to 4 years and, and usually at that age they should be well over 2' in lenght. Plus they are going to need a bigger tank IMO. To sex them the fish must be anaesthetised and then the sex organs must be checked, being there are small differences in the placement of the sexual organs on the male and females. At the presant time there are no other known ways to sex a snakehead to my knowledge.

boredcpl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
lawrencburg,indiana
they are really big and they have been there awhile.. they upgraded the tank to a bigger tank not to long ago.. but the tank still dont look big enough for them to swim freely.. thanks for the info.. if they have any progress i will let you know.. and next time im there i will get better specs on tank and water.. right now im just guessing the tank..

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
i would suggest removing powerheads and add alot of "planted" plants. they should rip them up and make a nest at the surface, hence i think the power heads will destroy the nest---maybe that's preventing them from finishing the deal. oh and put the tank somewhere that doesn't have much people traffic. you'd be surprized what channa will do when there aren't tons of people walking around and looking at them

boredcpl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
lawrencburg,indiana
thats what i suggested.. they said they dont have a place to put the tank in hiding.. i told them if anything put it in a corner and rope it off so there wasnt much traffic around it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store