Brackish Salinity Level

Serygo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2004
Oregon
Hey...
Whats the average/best salinity level?

Also will a Coralife Salinity meter work?

Jeff M

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 29, 2005
Serygo said:
Hey...
Whats the average/best salinity level?

Also will a Coralife Salinity meter work?
I recomend 1.005. Scats, monos archers, silver dats, ng dats & chromides appear happy! Use seatest.

Jeff

Reactions: Fish rescue

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
I concur. 1.005 is a good place to start, especially since LFS vary as to the salinity of their "brackish" tanks. Most keep their brackish tanks at FW or FW + 1 tsp. salt per gallon, which is only like 1.002. Others keep theirs at 1.010 or so. 1.005 allows you to get fish from a variety of places without undue stress upon introduction.

Serygo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2004
Oregon
What kind of salt, like Marine Salt/Ocean Salt, or Aquarium Salt?

And also on the test,,, if the Coralife is the only one you have, will that be ok or do you strongly reccomend to get seatest?

jenBLKAROWANA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I keep my Brackish tank at 1.016 - but I started it gradually over a period of time...It was almost fresh....I did it over about 10 days time...I figured how much I needed to add per gallon, and worked from there....I did use a HYDOMETER to check the levels, and now they are just as happy as can be! I would say that 1.005 is a little on the low side for brackish...it needs to really be at 1.012 - 1.014. Your fish will be happier in that salinity. I use OCEANIC's brand of sea salt, but you can use what ever sea salt you LFS has....CORALIFE is a good salt.
OH....it also 4 tablespoons per gallon....

Hope that helps!
Jen ;)

clare

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2005
Grimsby, England
There are many arguments as to the levels of salinity which are best,only thing I can say is vary over water changes.Most brackish fish are estuarine,in the areas where freshwater meets the sea,and because of tides coming in and out,heavy rainfall upriver etc,the water can vary from fresh to full marine in the course of a day.I generally aim for 1.005-6 at first,some water changes with more salt,some with none,just making sure the varyance is not too great too sudden.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store