Estuary Catfish

WckedMidas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
BODYMORE MD
The Estuary Catfish has a large flattened head and a body that tapers to a pointed tail. The dorsal, caudal and anal fins are continuous.

The dorsal and pectoral fins each have an embedded spine. These serrated spines are poisonous. Puncture wounds from an Estuary Catfish spine can be very painful.

This species has a relatively small mouth that is surrounded by four pairs of barbels. A fifth pair of barbels is present above the snout.

The Estuary Catfish is mottled brown and yellow.

It occurs in estuaries and silty bays of temperate marine waters from southern Queensland to southern Western Australia.

View a map of the collecting localities of specimens in the Australian Museum Fish Collection.

Skulls of this species are sometimes found washed up on beaches. View images of the

An Estuary Catfish at a depth of 3m, Bare Island, La Perouse, New South Wales, 1997. Photo © Á. Lumnitzer

An Estuary Catfish in shallow water, east side of Bare Island, La Perouse, New South Wales. Photo

An Estuary Catfish at a depth of 2.4m, Red Rock Estuary, New South Wales, January 2002. Photo © I

WckedMidas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
BODYMORE MD
i wish just some neat fish i found info on. from the same site that had the original mr blooby pics

Aussie FishFreak

Feeder Fish
Feb 12, 2008
Australia
To whoever is interested. Was out fishing last night in Sydney (Pyrmont - great view of the Harbour Bridge) and we caught one of these suckers. They are uglier in real life!. I reckon it was about 40cm long, and slimy as sin. I've been fishing there for a few years and it's the first one i have seen caught. We let it go to give someone else the privilege of seeing it. Took a snap but it came out crap (shame)

SimonL

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I cry inside everytime I see pics of eel-tail catfish lol. Only species I've ever seen for sale in Canada is Plotosus lineatus.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store