PDA

View Full Version : Parrot Fish Question

2004exrider
01-18-2008, 8:20 PM
Might be an oddball question so get ready. Im just curious if tetras could survive with parrot fish due to their odd shaped mouth? I might need to move a couple of mine and am just curious, not to worried anyway if they do get eaten.

Jimmy

kscichlidfan
01-18-2008, 8:54 PM
I assume you mean the species(s) from the Amazon region. I have a choclate cichlid (not the temporalis but the other one- that looks kinda similar to the parrots) and he has no problem taking down large rosey reds (I give them as a treat once every 2 weeks) and in fact "hogs" em. But it is a different species I know, but (to me) has a similar mouth shape.

headbanger_jib
01-18-2008, 9:00 PM
Might be an oddball question so get ready. Im just curious if tetras could survive with parrot fish due to their odd shaped mouth? I might need to move a couple of mine and am just curious, not to worried anyway if they do get eaten.

Jimmy
first of all parrots are hybrids and not CA/SA chiclids

and can you rephrase your question

jaws19
01-18-2008, 9:12 PM
yea if you parrot is under 6in but after that your tetra are goners.

2004exrider
01-18-2008, 9:31 PM
first of all parrots are hybrids and not CA/SA chiclids

and can you rephrase your question

Haha sorry. I know they are hybrids i just assumed this would be as good of a forum to ask. What I was asking is if i had to put a couple blood parrots in a tank with some cardinal tetras will they be goners? Or will the parrots mouth be to small to try and eat them. But the next part of what i said was just saying that if they did get eaten it wont be the end of the world. :)

***EDIT*** I didnt even notice the hybrid forum or i would have posted it there.

Jimmy

headbanger_jib
01-18-2008, 9:39 PM
Haha sorry. I know they are hybrids i just assumed this would be as good of a forum to ask. What I was asking is if i had to put a couple blood parrots in a tank with some cardinal tetras will they be goners? Or will the parrots mouth be to small to try and eat them. But the next part of what i said was just saying that if they did get eaten it wont be the end of the world. :)

***EDIT*** I didnt even notice the hybrid forum or i would have posted it there.

Jimmy
yup the tetras will be lost
the deformed mouth as many say, i don't think hurts or hampers the fish

2004exrider
01-18-2008, 9:48 PM
yup the tetras will be lost
the deformed mouth as many say, i don't think hurts or hampers the fish

Cool, thanks for your help guys!

Jimmy

headbanger_jib
01-18-2008, 10:30 PM
Cool, thanks for your help guys!

Jimmy
now that all is said and done
you gotta post some pics :D

2004exrider
01-18-2008, 11:03 PM
now that all is said and done
you gotta post some pics :D

It'll be a while but when i do there will be before and after pics lol.

Jimmy

Mystix212
01-18-2008, 11:05 PM
Most, if not all tetras are zippy enough to escape the slow, thick, retarded mouths of a Blood Parrot. Just for the record, not all tetras could be eaten by a Blood Parrot even it was sitting right in front of it. Some larger species of tetras such as Congo's are far too big to be eaten. Pacu also grow a BIT too big to be eaten.

Natalie
01-18-2008, 11:14 PM
I think it also depends on the temperament of your Parrots. I have a 6" male who is extremely gentle and doesn't pay any attention to the guppies or pleco in his tank. He's also slower and clumsier than hell so that may have something to do with it.

Bobears
01-20-2008, 12:16 PM
I agree with Mystix. Parrots don't have the anatomy to be killers. Although I sometimes think they wish they did.

PoopSmart
01-20-2008, 1:41 PM
there is a parrot cichlid that isn't a hybrid

I have a one eyed blood parrot and he couldn't even eat feeder guppies. They are angry, but can't survive in a cichlid community with capable cichlids. They can't close their mouth so they can only do damage if they ram a fish, but since their spine is deformed that is pretty much out of the question.

Blood parrots could probably be put with discus or angelfish IMO. In fact my g/f keeps hers with a big altum angel without any probnlems, and those the most touchy angel I can think of.

2004exrider
01-20-2008, 2:18 PM
there is a parrot cichlid that isn't a hybrid

I have a one eyed blood parrot and he couldn't even eat feeder guppies. They are angry, but can't survive in a cichlid community with capable cichlids. They can't close their mouth so they can only do damage if they ram a fish, but since their spine is deformed that is pretty much out of the question.

Blood parrots could probably be put with discus or angelfish IMO. In fact my g/f keeps hers with a big altum angel without any probnlems, and those the most touchy angel I can think of.

Can someone post a picture of a Parrot Cichlid, I thought they were all hybrid fish.:confused:

Jimmy

karlamaria
01-20-2008, 2:23 PM
http://www.aqua-fish.net/imgs/fish1/parrot-cichlid-profile.jpg

Common nameParrot cichlid
Fish name
Hoplarchus psittacus

Maximum size (min-max)
26.0 - 33.0 cm ( 10.2 - 13.0 in)

PH of water
5.5 - 6.5

Water hardness (dGH)
dGH 2.0 - 12.0 N

Recommended temperature
25.0 - 30.0 C ( 77.0 - 86.0 F)

Temperament to its family
peaceful

Temperament to other fish species
aggressive to smaller

Place in the aquarium
Middle levels

The way of breeding
Spawning

Fish origin
South America

karlamaria
01-20-2008, 2:25 PM
here is my blood parrot

2004exrider
01-20-2008, 2:34 PM
Cool, Thanks

DasArab
01-21-2008, 6:31 PM
Most, if not all tetras are zippy enough to escape the slow, thick, retarded mouths of a Blood Parrot.

Youd think so eh, but my origional pair of BP's muched their way through countless Cardinals, Neons and even Danios were no problem too them, and we all know how manic danios can be. If it can fit in a BP's mouth it will get eaten.

jaws19
01-21-2008, 7:34 PM
pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics

jordan007
04-09-2009, 2:07 AM
Some BP have more deformation as far as mouths than other. I have one female BP with a near perfect mouth, and a male with a very deformed mouth. My male although larger would have a worse time with cathing live prey. I say try one small tetra and see how they react. I would think that they might not be able to catch them.. Let us know if you try it.:)