Parrot Fish Question

kscichlidfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
kansas
I assume you mean the species(s) from the Amazon region. I have a choclate cichlid (not the temporalis but the other one- that looks kinda similar to the parrots) and he has no problem taking down large rosey reds (I give them as a treat once every 2 weeks) and in fact "hogs" em. But it is a different species I know, but (to me) has a similar mouth shape.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
2004exrider;1435344; said:
Might be an oddball question so get ready. Im just curious if tetras could survive with parrot fish due to their odd shaped mouth? I might need to move a couple of mine and am just curious, not to worried anyway if they do get eaten.

Jimmy
first of all parrots are hybrids and not CA/SA chiclids

and can you rephrase your question

jaws19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2006
Clarkston MI
yea if you parrot is under 6in but after that your tetra are goners.

2004exrider

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2007
Ohio
headbanger_jib;1435435; said:
first of all parrots are hybrids and not CA/SA chiclids

and can you rephrase your question
Haha sorry. I know they are hybrids i just assumed this would be as good of a forum to ask. What I was asking is if i had to put a couple blood parrots in a tank with some cardinal tetras will they be goners? Or will the parrots mouth be to small to try and eat them. But the next part of what i said was just saying that if they did get eaten it wont be the end of the world. :)

***EDIT*** I didnt even notice the hybrid forum or i would have posted it there.

Jimmy

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
2004exrider;1435512; said:
Haha sorry. I know they are hybrids i just assumed this would be as good of a forum to ask. What I was asking is if i had to put a couple blood parrots in a tank with some cardinal tetras will they be goners? Or will the parrots mouth be to small to try and eat them. But the next part of what i said was just saying that if they did get eaten it wont be the end of the world. :)

***EDIT*** I didnt even notice the hybrid forum or i would have posted it there.

Jimmy
yup the tetras will be lost
the deformed mouth as many say, i don't think hurts or hampers the fish

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
2004exrider;1435578; said:
Cool, thanks for your help guys!

Jimmy
now that all is said and done
you gotta post some pics :D

Mystix212

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Most, if not all tetras are zippy enough to escape the slow, thick, retarded mouths of a Blood Parrot. Just for the record, not all tetras could be eaten by a Blood Parrot even it was sitting right in front of it. Some larger species of tetras such as Congo's are far too big to be eaten. Pacu also grow a BIT too big to be eaten.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store