Brackish or saltwater?

puffer_girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2005
United States
Ok, palembang puffer...... Was told by pet store that he needs minimal salt- 1 tbsp/5 gal. but this is when I thought he was a red-eye. Have been informed that he requires more. How much and how should I go about making this adjustment? Should it be done gradually?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The dragon puffer comes from straight freshwater, not brackish, so no salt is required. However, I keep roughly a teaspoon per gallon just to help prevent bloat and minor fungal infections.

puffer_girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2005
United States
Great! Bet you are getting sick of my puffer... Do appreciate the info and you've been great. Really not all that informed on them so want to make sure I am doing it right. I have had to earn this fishes respect which i am not use too! I've gradually gotten him to trust me (at the beginning when I walked towards his tank he would back away) but now his belly turns white and he's happy to see me. The pics I posted are from awhile ago, he would NEVER fit in the shell now, so I will soon post more as he has (with as weird as this sounds) grown into his eyes!!! His eyes were HUGE when I first got him and now they don't protrude as much. He is still terribly cute though! Anyone else with any input is more than welcome cause I would be terribly upset if I let him down.... Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store