Small Brackish tank.

ShadowVengance

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
your house
Is it worth making a small tank brackish? like, a 5 gallon to keep a puffer. I was wondering about it, maybe it'd be a cool species tank? Or would that be cruel?

Ive also been wondering about the whole brackish process, I've googled it, but if anyone has any pointers on what it takes to make a brackish tank for a n00b it'd be cool :D

thamunsta

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2005
the dark abyss
man ur a noob LOL JK yah definately doit ill be there to pick u up when all fails and when u need the tears smacked off your face IM the man whos gonna be there to kick u in the ribs when your down and out........ill tell u to get up and try again ohh! and it seems some of the hardier sw inverts can be acclimated to brackish over a period of about a day 8-10 hours not sure about success with this but it would be somthing to experiment with GOOD LUCK maby some bumble bee gobies ive always liked them. :)

ShadowVengance

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
your house
thamunsta said:
maby one of these for the brackish tank fw fishes can always be acclimated u know :)
:eek: :( :swear: I miss my zigzag! **** on you! lol.

I like bumblee bee goby!!!! woo!

butis look sweet , but i already had the gobey in mind.

Any puffers or inverts that's be good??

jenBLKAROWANA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I have a 90 gal brackish tank going right now....I have my salt level at somewhere between 1.013 + 1.016....The fish I have in there are Scats, Monos, Knight gobies, and Chromides......
The ones that would do well in that small of a tank would be the Knight Gobies or the Chromides....The max size on them would be about 4".....The Chromides I have are what they call, "red" or "orange" I love those guys...They are cichilids, and if in a tank that small would have to be the only ones in there, they can be territorial little ba$tards...they are in my 90 gal......
I also have succesfully converted some red legged reef hermits to brackish...you can also try blue legged crabs too....They eat the left over food and they love algae....

Good luck! I would say that a 15 gallon may be too small for a brackish, just like salt, you sould have a tank size of 29 gallons or more...you would get a more accurate reading of the salt content....

Jen ;)

ShadowVengance

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
your house
thanks, I might try converting the crabs :)

I dont want to make a larger brackish tank, because i want to put this 5 gallon to use. :)

how long did it take you to convert the crabs?

Don4921

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Tampa
Sounds like a good idea to setup a small tank because my fish store has a small two-gallon tank with pea puffers in it and some live plants. GOOD LUCK!! :D

Don4921

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Tampa
hey or how bout a fw clown loach acclimated to brackish remember acclimation takes about ten hours!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store