styrofoam under tank?

toxicfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan
How important is it to have styrofoam between the bottom of the tank and the top of the stand? And what is the meaning for it? I see it recomended alot on aquarium sites.

DiXoN

English MFKer
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2004
Sunderland, England
i would always have something between the 2 asit stops cracks developing due to imperfections in the stand or even the tank.
i actualy use a insulating piece of wooden floor underlay works even better than styrofoam

toxicfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan
insulating piece of wooden floor underlay... cool I will have to check it out.

ShadowVengance

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
your house
Unless the tank is on a stand with an imperfection, or its two tables slid together, I wouldn't recomend it.

It'd wobble easier when you run by it, and i really don't see any point to it if it doesnt apply to the above.

I have hardwood floor on the top of my 55g's stand. and a piece of plywood between my 15g and the stand.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I use camping or work-out mats between my tanks and stands. They don't burst like styrofoam does when crushed. And, I can get them in medium blue or black to match the back panels of the acrylic tanks. A bonus is they're inexpensive and can be found as low as $7 each for a 72" x 24" pad.

Cyclop3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
Quebec, Canada
With small tanks, this stuff WILL make the tank wabble. I find that with large tanks, this is not necessary either. Think about it... say a camping mat, or even that floor thing. 190g is close to 2 tons when full, therefore the mat will just squish to a fraction of the thickness it was and get very dense...therefore any imperfections will just move the material upwards and you end up with an uneven surface anyways.

I built all my stands, and don't use any of those. The wood piece under the tank has to be perfect...lots of sanding and checking, but it works wonders. I'd say you are better off making sure the top is nice and smooth, than to try and pad it with something.

My 2 cents...

hardb0iled

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2005
Australia
I would always put foam between a tank bottom and stand. It relieves any concentrated pressure points on the bottom pane of glass which would otherwise cause the glass to crack under the weight of the water. It also means if the top of the stand is not absolutely flat and level that the foam will take up the difference instead of the tank base warping and either splitting the seams of the tank or cracking the glass.

I cant believe anyone would not consider putting foam or similar under a tank!? :WHOA:

toxicfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan
The stand will be square (close to 90 deg as possible) and level when I'm done...
Now where is the best place to get the styrofoam sheets that big(72x24)? I am guessing home depot... lol

MFK ROCKS!!!

loach43

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Indiana
I've always used cork but never had a tank as large as 190g.
Just thought I'd toss that in as an alternative idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store