green spotted puffer

MarlboroMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
socal
Whos had the largest green spotted puffer? Ive only seen them at an inch size, and read that they attain 6-7 inches but never any pics. Anyone keep one that reached that size?

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
There's some at my lfs that are about 5" to 6"

MarlboroMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
socal
Ah cool,

also I need to know how to make the tank brackish for one. Its got a 20 gallon waiting for it and I know it can be kept in fresh while young, but when should I add salt, what kind of salt, and how much?

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I recently helped a friend set up a brachish tank for his spotted puffer...We used senthic salt (Instant Ocean brand) and It read on the hydrmeter, 1.014. Temp was set for the standard 78-80 degrees. Sand subtrate, 2 pieces of driftwood, a bunch of plastic plants a few rocks. Let it cycle and it was good to go.

If you want to see pictures of his tank, it's in my personal gallery.

MarlboroMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
socal
ahh thanks, its gonna be cool setting up this tank for the puffer. Ive never done brackish so Ill be learning something new.

craig

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
LONG ISLAND NY
MarlboroMan said:
ahh thanks, its gonna be cool setting up this tank for the puffer. Ive never done brackish so Ill be learning something new.
You can fully marine a spotted puffer or a figure eight puffer.

big E

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
the French Part of Compton
Hey nice choice! thats my tank he helped set-up and the puffer is doing great! I think gsp like it a little saltier than figure 8's, its only about 2.5 inches when he starts getting a little bigger I'll have a bigger tank ready for him! just be careful when adding him to the tank they can tolerate gradual changes in salt but nothing too fast/drastic, try to get one that was already in kept brackish water , with some salt and a hydrometer brackish water isnt very tough to keep, but you probably will have to clean any algae by yourself because I dont know many algae eaters gsp can live with, the biggest ive seen have been about 5 inches never seen one 7",

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store