Archers: "Say No To Smoking ?"

shaunman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2006
Boise ID.
Tell me if anybody has done this with an Archer, because I would love to know if it's true.

Some guy with a mullet working at this po-dunk aquarium store, (for years) told me that one of his favorite brackish fish was an Archer.

He said, " Hey man, if you remove the lid from your tank, turn off the lights in the room, and fire up a smoke about 10 feet back from the tank, the Archer will put it out by spitting water at the chery."

He never seemed to have any Archers when I asked him to prove it.

fishyboi

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
HERE
MIght be true since they do spit out water, but not sure if its 10 ft

Skoomakilla

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2006
SoCal
i have read(unless im wrong) that the archer has the range of 6 - 8 feet according to the age and accuracy of the fish

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
I have heard these stories too.. Their spitting in the wild is triggered by fireflies which display bright coloration like that.. They will shoot at cigarettes as well as christmas tree lights from what I understand.

Ornatapinnis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2005
Dayton Ohio
I've seen archers spit water at cigaretts, a friend of mine had his do it to shut me up (i didn't believe him). THey did but it was not from 10 feet away, he opened the lid and held his cigaterre about 12 " above the water. It was pretty neet!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store