PDA

View Full Version : black spot disease?? Blood parrot!

dapike1979
01-27-2006, 11:21 AM
Can somebody tell me what this is all about??
black spot disease? Is it bad? Can my other fish get it?
Thank's in advance!! mic :thumbsup:

guppy
01-27-2006, 2:02 PM
I don't keep them, don't care for hybrids much, but here is a link about that disease that should help. http://www.geocities.com/parrotcichlid/healthcare.html

dapike1979
01-27-2006, 3:56 PM
Thank's guppy! :thumbsup:

Vincent Spero
01-29-2006, 8:54 AM
I am new to this and am not sure how this all works.Please bear with me.
I have many aquariums. I was looking for someone with Red Parrot fish to discuss
their care and such.
Thanks
Vinnie

Kieranuk
01-29-2006, 12:40 PM
My parrots had it in the store and I was worried when the parrot fish started to get more of it in the few days after I bought them. Then after a few weeks they lost it and from the on were all orange.

demented_lullaby
01-30-2006, 3:48 AM
A lot of parrots are dyed sadly. However if it's the black spots I think your talking about I've seen Discus with those as well as non dyed parrots. I always wondered what it is. It's not a disease but the fish never look as nice IMO.

eh1421
01-30-2006, 6:22 AM
mine had for one week and after to massive water changes that week it went away
now his color is much brighter and way better looking.

eh1421
01-30-2006, 6:23 AM
two massive water changes

guppy
01-30-2006, 1:04 PM
I am new to this and am not sure how this all works.Please bear with me.
I have many aquariums. I was looking for someone with Red Parrot fish to discuss
their care and such.
Thanks
Vinnie
Hiya Vinnie, welcome to MFK, I don't keep them myself but I think if you start a new thread titled some thing like "Need advice with blood parrot care" the experienced keepers will jump in to help.

twk1
01-31-2006, 2:27 AM
The black spots that your parrots develop are harmless and will not kill them. Don't know why but It seems like only parrots develop the blacks spots. Other species that are in the same tank will not get it. The black spot comes and goes, but i've only seen it in juvenile parrots around 3-4", i haven't seen an adult parrot with the spots.

Paintsn
01-31-2006, 5:05 AM
thats just a fadin process bro.. just like all fading hybrid..no worrys but if it is a fungus then thats different.. in my parrot when she get them black spots on belly or tail.. then whe is ready to spawn

Dan1
01-31-2006, 7:38 AM
thats just a fadin process bro.. just like all fading hybrid..no worrys but if it is a fungus then thats different.. in my parrot when she get them black spots on belly or tail.. then whe is ready to spawn
I agree with Paintsn the spots are normal. My fading fish get them from time to time but they always go away and they are brighter colored after :)

Vincent Spero
01-31-2006, 9:42 AM
Parrot Fish are black when they are young.They turn Red/Orange as they get older
Vinnie Spero

ccdoido38
12-29-2007, 11:43 PM
The black spots that your parrots develop are harmless and will not kill them. Don't know why but It seems like only parrots develop the blacks spots. Other species that are in the same tank will not get it. The black spot comes and goes, but i've only seen it in juvenile parrots around 3-4", i haven't seen an adult parrot with the spots.

I don't think you're correct...

i bought a parrot that had black coloration thinking it was a cool pattern on a 4" parrot and later found out it was black spot disease. he died 5days later...
and then i got a new parrot to replace the dead one and 5days later the healthy orange parrot is starting to get this black coloration on him.....i think the one that died left some of his disease and my new parrot caught it...
how do i cure it:?

bengalsfan47025
12-30-2007, 3:47 AM
isnt it like ammonia burns or something! remember water changer are your friend

fishfreak317
12-30-2007, 12:23 PM
the link provided:

The black streaks are common with parrots. Several things can cause it. First of all, check your ammonia & nitrite levels. I have found the parrots are a first indicator of water parameters being off. If the ammonia/nitrite is raised do a water change immediately and siphon off any debris.

If its not the water, then you can watch the parrot a few days & see if the spots disappear or treat with medicine. I spoke with a guy at the Tetra company who said it is called black spot disease & is thought to be a parasite. Only parrots get it and he recommended using Maracide. I have used Maracide which cleared it up but takes over a week. I have also used Malachite Green to cure it & also done nothing & it went away. I've also heard Jungle's Parasite Guard works on it. I usually don't treat it unless it starts covering a lot of their body.

Someone here also told me the streaks will show up if the parrots is in the mood to mate. I have found that is true. Both my male & female parrots get streaks on the pelvic fins when they are preparing to nest. But since your parrot has a spot on its nose then it sounds more like the parasite. With my parrots, the black spots show on fins first, then the nose & face, then on their hump.

I hope this helps and is not too confusing. It's just no one quite understands the black spots, but it is a problem for parrots & shows up for diff reasons.

ppl can speculate on what this is. i have had them have black blotches, however in my experiences it means to me "waterchange". i have never treated this as a parasite. nor have i lost any fish to it. gl with your's hope this helps some, thanx guppy for the link :D

ccdoido38
12-30-2007, 3:38 PM
what part is the "hump" on a parrot?

twk1
12-30-2007, 11:55 PM
I don't think you're correct...

i bought a parrot that had black coloration thinking it was a cool pattern on a 4" parrot and later found out it was black spot disease. he died 5days later...
and then i got a new parrot to replace the dead one and 5days later the healthy orange parrot is starting to get this black coloration on him.....i think the one that died left some of his disease and my new parrot caught it...
how do i cure it:?

Well.. i think that something might be wrong with your water... cause 5 days ago i just got some parrots from a lfs that had a few black spots... and now they are almost completely gone.. and swimming around happily!

PoopSmart
01-02-2008, 5:43 PM
melafix fixed my g/fs blood parrot

k0tex
01-03-2008, 7:03 PM
had it on my blood parrots on the fins then i did a water change and a week later gone. so just try water changes

ccdoido38
01-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Well.. i think that something might be wrong with your water... cause 5 days ago i just got some parrots from a lfs that had a few black spots... and now they are almost completely gone.. and swimming around happily!

then why didn't my other fish die?

and the next parrot i added to the tank that was healthy got black spot disease, since it was still in the tank.
i was able to treat it with 82F and salt!

actually, it wasn't a couple of spots, blotches all over the body.

twk1
01-09-2008, 2:47 PM
then why didn't my other fish die?

and the next parrot i added to the tank that was healthy got black spot disease, since it was still in the tank.
i was able to treat it with 82F and salt!

actually, it wasn't a couple of spots, blotches all over the body.

Cause the majority of fish species are imuned to the black spots, only parrots and a few other type of fishes can get it. but im happy to hear that you were able to treat your parrot! My water is also around 82-85F.... they seem to be happier in that range!

ccdoido38
01-10-2008, 7:28 PM
Cause the majority of fish species are imuned to the black spots, only parrots and a few other type of fishes can get it. but im happy to hear that you were able to treat your parrot! My water is also around 82-85F.... they seem to be happier in that range!

no no, you said that the disease was caused by my water being bad.
if that is true, why did only the parrot die from the water?

what other species get black spot disease?

really? is it at 85F all the time?(seems a little too high)
i only had it at the 80's to treat the disease and left it as is for only a week more

twk1
01-10-2008, 8:05 PM
no no, you said that the disease was caused by my water being bad.
if that is true, why did only the parrot die from the water?

what other species get black spot disease?

really? is it at 85F all the time?(seems a little too high)
i only had it at the 80's to treat the disease and left it as is for only a week more

Well your fish prolly past away cause your water was bad and plus the parrot that you had was already unhealthy. its not black spot disease that killed it. Black spot disease is mostly caused by stress and poor water quality.

DasArab
01-12-2008, 2:36 PM
Black spot in bp's is caused by stress, be it poor water conditions, high traffic around the tank area, bullying by other fish etc........ Remove the cause of the stress and it will go away with no i'll or lasting effects. Medication is not required.

ccdoido38
01-12-2008, 7:07 PM
Well your fish prolly past away cause your water was bad and plus the parrot that you had was already unhealthy. its not black spot disease that killed it. Black spot disease is mostly caused by stress and poor water quality.

see you don't get my point. and havn't answered my question.

if the parrot died from bad water quality, why didn't the other fish(including other parrot) in the tank die?

and again, which species get black spot d?