green spotted puffer

zebula

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2005
michigan
i was thinking of getting a brackish green spotted puffer can anyone give me more info about them. I have never had anything other than african chichlids but he is sooo cute i really want him, thanks

jimk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
coatesville, pa
They eat bloodworms, pellets, flake, earthworms, live shrimp and if you're lucky, snails. They are aggressive towards their own kind and others. They are active and have a nice personality. Mine hangs out at the top of the tank waiting for food. They don't necessarily need brackish when they are young but the salt seems to prevent disease. I don't believe that they get that big so you could probably keep one in a 20 gallon.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
jimk said:
I don't believe that they get that big so you could probably keep one in a 20 gallon.

They can get up to 6" and they put off alot of waste.. The minimum reccomended tank size for just 1 as an adult is 50g.. When they get bigger, flakes and other foods won't suffice, and you will have to switch to a diet full of meaty seafoods such as Krill, Silversides, Crayfish, Squid, Crab, Lobster, Cockle, Shellfish,etc..

jimk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
coatesville, pa
Is that species Tetraodon fluviatilis. I didn't realize they got that big. I hope mine does.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Yes, that is a fluviatilis.. The nigroviridis has the same max size and care requirements..

zebula

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2005
michigan
Miles said:
They can get up to 6" and they put off alot of waste.. The minimum reccomended tank size for just 1 as an adult is 50g.. When they get bigger, flakes and other foods won't suffice, and you will have to switch to a diet full of meaty seafoods such as Krill, Silversides, Crayfish, Squid, Crab, Lobster, Cockle, Shellfish,etc..

can you tell if the fish is a male or a female? Will they mate in a tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store