Brackish ?'s

Cuba_Libra

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Ft. Collins Co
Hey all, I've pretty much got my mind set on doin a small brackish tank, 20 gallons or so. I really like the idea of archers, so i was thinking about doing an archer or two, and maybe a mono. and maybe, just maybe if theres room a smaller puffer of some sort. I have enough filtration for about 60 gallons, using 2 extra filters i found around the house, and live plants, in the tank with a sand substrate. If anyone has any ideas for the tank, let me know, ill try and post some pictures later when i get home from class ;)

mainy999

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2006
Pennsylvania
I dont know if you'd want to add a puffer...they can get pretty territorial and it might be tough to have that plus the other fish in a 20.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
You will need one of the smaller species of archers and monos get pretty big for a twenty g.

jenBLKAROWANA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
That is a nice set up....BUT.....and there is a big but.....The Archers get to be about 10" and the Monos get to be about the same size....you would have to upgrade your tank to a minimum of 90 gallons if you want to keep those fish. I would suggest to you to go with some of the smaller brackish fish that are out there. Knight Gobies, and Orange or Red (they are the same) Chromides. These fish hit a max size of only 3 - 4 inches, and would be perfect for your size tank! Chromides are a cichlid and are very bright orange with a red stripe on the top of their dorsal fin.....And the Knight Gobies, well, they are just a really cool looking fish too....

Hope this helps.

Oh...I do have all of these fish myself...and if I were going to go with that small of a tank, I would go with the Gobies, and the Chromides.

Jen ;)

jenBLKAROWANA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Cuba_Libra said:
thanks guys appreciate the advice!

And girl!!! lol

If you would like to see just how big some of the fish you want get....check out my gallery....!!!

Jen ;)

Cuba_Libra

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Ft. Collins Co
Hey how many of each would you guys suggest, those knight gobbies are really cool. How much salt do i need in there, and any other suggestions?

jenBLKAROWANA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I keep my brackish tank at 1.012ppl to 1.016ppl.....That is high for brackish, but the fish really seen to like it. I would use about 4 tablespoons of salt to 1 gallon of water....you also need to get a hydrometer to measure it with.....As fot eh salt....I use Oceanic's sea salt....but you can use any kind of sea salt.....ALSO, when you add the salt to the tank, don't just dump it in....Mix it up in a bucket with the tank water and then put it in....you will get a more even distribution of the salt that way. Don't forget to use a tap water conditioner too!!!

As far as how many....I would do at least 4 gobies, that way you will be sure to have males and females (the males have a longer dorsal fin, you may want to check them out in the store and tell them which ones you want)....also you will need things for them to hide in when they lay eggs....don't worry about babies, the male eats the eggs after a few days....and for the chromides, I would only get 2 of them....They can be a little aggresive.

Hope this helps!

Jen ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store