How fast to Pacu Grow??

Mysticshadows3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2008
Lansing, Michigan
www.myspace.com
I need to know how fast my Pacu will grow, because I need to know how fast I will need to get the money together to buy a 300 gallon. It is 3 inches and is a 90 gallon - I can get the money around late 2009 or early 2010 - will I be okay until then???? PLEASE say yes.

and don't harp on me that I should have everything in set before a buy a fish that will grow big - that will make me very sad...like I am a bad parent :(

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Confused about which part of this thread has to do with Cichlids, so moved it to this forum for more 'refined' answers! ;)

Generally you want to buy the tank FIRST, then the fish. Don't put it off, get it ASAP. The pacu should be alright in the for six to eight months, MAYBE. You won't have much more time after that.

Not a bad parent per say, impatient perhaps...

frontosablkrhom

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2008
new jersey
itll grow like an inch a month maybe more and itll out grow you tank in like 8 months so ou should be good till then, what made you decide to buy a pacu then dedicate 300 gallons to him? id bring the pacu back and get a couple arowanas when you get your 300.

Mysticshadows3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2008
Lansing, Michigan
www.myspace.com
frontosablkrhom;2138004; said:
itll grow like an inch a month maybe more and itll out grow you tank in like 8 months so ou should be good till then, what made you decide to buy a pacu then dedicate 300 gallons to him? id bring the pacu back and get a couple arowanas when you get your 300.
Oh, well I was going to get a 300 anyway - and I have always loved Pacu...what is everybody's deal?? Does nobody think that they are absolutely adorable?? I thinks they are!!

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
They are great fish when they are housed properly! They look better in groups too...;)

The main problem is a lot of people get fish that are outside of their means with plans of upgrading to larger tanks in the future. Most of the time this is done with the best of intentions, but in most cases only rarely becomes a reality.

Thats why its best to have the tank FIRST, then buy the fish for it. Saves you a lot of headache, and you owe it to the fish that you will be keeping as well. They have no choice as to where they are going to live the rest of their life or what conditions they will be in. Its your responsibility as a hobbyist to make sure you can provide the most optimal conditions possible.

Mysticshadows3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2008
Lansing, Michigan
www.myspace.com
Peanut_Power;2138062; said:
They are great fish when they are housed properly! They look better in groups too...;)

The main problem is a lot of people get fish that are outside of their means with plans of upgrading to larger tanks in the future. Most of the time this is done with the best of intentions, but in most cases only rarely becomes a reality.

Thats why its best to have the tank FIRST, then buy the fish for it. Saves you a lot of headache, and you owe it to the fish that you will be keeping as well. They have no choice as to where they are going to live the rest of their life or what conditions they will be in. Its your responsibility as a hobbyist to make sure you can provide the most optimal conditions possible.
I'll show you photos of my new tank so you can sleep at night.

arkmann

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2007
It grows hella fast. It outgrew my 55 gallon in 6 months when I first got it at 1.5" It also eats absolutely anything that I fed it.

Better get that 300 first just like what peanut said.

dragonfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2006
Florida
Mine grew two inches a month til 12 inches and has slowed to an inch a month now. Will eat or try to eat anything that fits in its mouth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store