Glass fish

aquarah

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2006
New York
I have some Glass fish that have what looks like almost salt granules on their fins, it is not ich, does any one know what this is and what the best treatment would be?

ogre929

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2005
England
It could be a fungla infection if its not ick. But they're succeptable to them.

straitjacketstar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
www.instagram.com
It's cauliflower disease (Lymphocystis). Glassfish are very susceptable to it.
I've never had it in any other fish than Parambassis ranga (glassfish). When I bought mine some of them already had it and it eventually cleared up as I raised the salinity in their tank. I notice it'll pop up again if and when the salinity in the tank gets low. I try keeping their water no lower than SG1.004 and keep the water as free of nitrates (with nitrites and ammonia at 0) as possible.
Based on things I've read there is no real "cure" for it as of yet.

http://www.fishpalace.org/disease.htm

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
My glass fish that I used to have had that. I thought it was ich as well and I treated it as ick and used medicine, raised the temp, and added salt. So it must have been the salt that got rid of it. I never had it come back though but it could have been something else. Well best of luck hope you can get rid of it.

Princley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
us
straitjacketstar said:
It's cauliflower disease (Lymphocystis). Glassfish are very susceptable to it.
I've never had it in any other fish than Parambassis ranga (glassfish). When I bought mine some of them already had it and it eventually cleared up as I raised the salinity in their tank. I notice it'll pop up again if and when the salinity in the tank gets low. I try keeping their water no lower than SG1.004 and keep the water as free of nitrates (with nitrites and ammonia at 0) as possible.
Based on things I've read there is no real "cure" for it as of yet.

http://www.fishpalace.org/disease.htm

i agree.................. Just wondering were they Painted Glass fish thats where i haves seen it most ...

straitjacketstar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
www.instagram.com
Princley said:
i agree.................. Just wondering were they Painted Glass fish thats where i haves seen it most ...
Petsmart sells them unpainted and good luck if you can find a tankfull of even the unpainted ones free of cauliflower disease.

aquarah

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2006
New York
No, they were not painted Glass fish, they were infected when I bought them thow. Thanks for your advice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store