Fig 8 puffer question

messiner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2005
americas wang
got one a week ago and they had him in an all fresh tank. brought him home and hes in the 30(fresh) and has developed ich. im going to put him in a 5 gallon for treatment and adding salt. since he is suposed to be brackish, could the fresh water be effecting him? and since he is suposidly brackish how much salt should i add to the treatment tank?

Princley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
us
I believe ur mind is on t he right track ... i would recomend keeping him in a brackish tank
it with for sure do the trick

Hakon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2005
Son, Norway
When my fig. 8 had ich I used medisin, not salt. I dunno how salt will do, but salt for treatment is different than salt to use for brackish (like sea salt).

Princley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
us
Fig 8 puffers would use more like Africian 's salt not sea salt.. also yes ich can b cured with a few things Med's .. warming the tank more ..and in many hardy fish it can go away on it's own but a Fig * don't fall under the word Hardy

jimk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
coatesville, pa
They do seem to avoid ich in a brackish tank. I have kept them both ways. Brackish is .010 salinity. The salt will knock down the ich.

messiner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2005
americas wang
OK thanks

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
fig 8's, from all I've read, do best in light brackish (yes with sea salt) tanks. I think the recommended SG was 1.008-1.010. :)

Stingray6

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2006
hanover,pa
Hi all first time post here on MFK,

I keep hearing that Figure 8's and Archer's are brackish but can live in any water table Ie fresh/ brackish/ marine. they just need to be adjusted to which ever water type over time. Is this true?

I currently keep 2 figure 8 puffers in a 29 gallon fresh water tank. I have had them for about 2 months with no problems. They dont fight each other and they are growing fast on a diet of frozen brine shrimp. The tank has lots of plants and caves to hide in but they seem very content swimming right out in the open right nexted to each other with no problems. Can I keep them in freshwater and I am sure I will need a bigger tank but I have no idea how large they get. any advice and or thoughts would be great.

Now as far as my Archer he is is in my 75 gallon Fw community tank. I have had him for about 14 months thier and is doing great. He eat well on both flake and frozzen and live crickets. I know he will get bigger he is only 4 inchs long now, But like the puffers. I have been told he needs Brackish water or he will die. But I have seem to dispelled that thought.

I was thinking about geeting a 90 gallon tank and combine all 3 fish and add 3 more archers and mybe some green scats and keep it fresh water. Any advice would be great.
thanks in advance
stingray6

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store