common spotted puffer

Magnus30

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2006
Michigan
I have a 150g freshwater tank w/ 2 large pleco's, 8" clown knife, 12" ornate bichar, 4" marbled pim & I just bought a spotted puffer. I didn't relize he was a brackish fish will he be ok in this setup & w/ the other fish. He's about 2.5 in

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
You should post a video of that.

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
yes he might eventually mess with the other fish, but more importantly it should be in light brackish water now and as it grows the salinity should be increased so that once it reaches adulthood it should be in high end brackish to full marine conditions. :) I've yet to have or personally know anyone to have a spotted puffer live in freshwater for more than a month. the best thing you could do would be to get another tank around 29 gallons and get it set up and cycled ASAP. :)

Stingray6

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2006
hanover,pa
I have two figure 8 puffers. that have lived in my fw 29 gallon tall for the last 3 months with no problems ...so far and I also have an archer that been in my 75 gallon fw tank for the last 16 months with no issues. ...so I am confused because if thier not supposed live in pure fw. how are they doing it???

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
Stingray6 said:
I have two figure 8 puffers. that have lived in my fw 29 gallon tall for the last 3 months with no problems ...so far and I also have an archer that been in my 75 gallon fw tank for the last 16 months with no issues. ...so I am confused because if thier not supposed live in pure fw. how are they doing it???

3 months is a very short time. fig 8's can live for a while in freshwater. I think I've heard up to maybe 3 years or so. however in light brackish water they've been known to live up to 17 years and they're less susceptible to stress and/or disease. whereas fig 8 puffers are a light brackish fish, spotted puffers are full brackish and like I said do much better in high end brackish to marine conditions at adulthood. I don't expect a spotted puffer would live as long in freshwater as a fig 8 would.

as for your archer, well I know nothing about archers so I can't say anything about that. :D

Magnus30

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2006
Michigan
Well that sucks, I should have done my research but still I think they should be sold as saltwater so people don't make the mistake of thinking they're a full freshwater fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store