Insight?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
If you're referring to figure 8s or green spotted puffers, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone that's had them in fresh for long. These common puffers are brackish species.

I have several colonies of freshwater puffers that have been in my tanks for at least the last 3 years. Peruvian puffers (asselus) that are social community species. I also have a colony of Tetraodon palembagensis (dragon puffer). My larger freshwater puffers include my fahaka (5 years) and the Mbus (1-4y/o. The rest are around 3). These are all freshwater riverine species.

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
Oddball said:
If you're referring to figure 8s or green spotted puffers, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone that's had them in fresh for long. These common puffers are brackish species.

I have several colonies of freshwater puffers that have been in my tanks for at least the last 3 years. Peruvian puffers (asselus) that are social community species. I also have a colony of Tetraodon palembagensis (dragon puffer). My larger freshwater puffers include my fahaka (5 years) and the Mbus (1-4y/o. The rest are around 3). These are all freshwater riverine species.
I think your colony of dragon puffers is too crowded so you should send me one :grinyes:

j/k :ROFL:

he's right...there are many, many species of freshwater puffer. I used to have 2 arrowhead puffers (both purely freshwater) for around a year or so. lost one in a tank-leak-while-I-was-at-work disaster and the other, well to be honest I'm not 100% sure what happened there. I'd love to have another arrowhead and a palembang one day. :D

mainy999

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2006
Pennsylvania
some puffers will live a while in freshwater, but by no means their full lifespan. Eventually they have to be put in brackish or full marine conditions

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
mainy999 said:
some puffers will live a while in freshwater, but by no means their full lifespan. Eventually they have to be put in brackish or full marine conditions
Better check your facts before posting. There are many species of pure freshwater puffers. As I posted above, the species I maintain are riverine (river) species. They are not from a brackish delta or estuary.

mainy999

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2006
Pennsylvania
Oddball said:
Better check your facts before posting. There are many species of pure freshwater puffers. As I posted above, the species I maintain are riverine (river) species. They are not from a brackish delta or estuary.

My bad...the only species of puffer i am familiar with are sw. I guess i learned something today!! :thumbsup:

straitjacketstar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
www.instagram.com
The species of FW puffers outnumber "brackish" (F8 and GSPs and Cenylons who eventually need marine). The number of SW puffs outnumber those of FW.

Species of puffers that should have salt in their water will not live full lives in strictly fresh water. Saem with any other brackish fish.

straitjacketstar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
www.instagram.com
By spotted puffer I'll assume you mean Green Spotted Puffer or Tetraodon nigriviridis.

Brackish water, raising the salinity as the fish grows till the conditions are fully marine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store