How long does it take De-Chlorinator to work...

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
I started this thread to open discussion on the subject of De-chorinator, Chlorine, and Chlorimines.

How long does it take a product like stresscoat to work?

If I used "aged" water from a barrel, what do you do about temperature?

How do you keep your water/change water?

cassharper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Mansfield, Texas
the chlorine removing agent in stress coat (and most other dechlorinators) is sodium thiosulfate, which should act immediately. Most people who barrel age water keeping powerheads for circulation and heaters for temp.

I just use a python and add prime in the stream

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
Cool, I wanted to know this too. I add the chemicals to my bucket as it fills up. But I also stir it pretty good too before I put it in the tank.

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
cassharper;2329045; said:
the chlorine removing agent in stress coat (and most other dechlorinators) is sodium thiosulfate, which should act immediately. Most people who barrel age water keeping powerheads for circulation and heaters for temp.

I just use a python and add prime in the stream
See, I have read here somewhere that the de-clorination isn't imediate and that there was chances of nuking your BB.

Circulation and a filter?, dang that's like another Tank!:naughty:
Powerhead isn't bad, but a heater for 50gals, what 200watt?

I too run a Python, well parts of one, to refill at correct temp. I been pouring my stresscoat into the tank and then adding the water...

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
OK here is another thought...
If I added more than the recommended amount of de-chlorinator, will there still be some unused in the tank? And how long will it be available for de-chlorinating?

Potts050

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Brantford Ontario Canada
zennzzo;2329089; said:
OK here is another thought...
If I added more than the recommended amount of de-chlorinator, will there still be some unused in the tank? And how long will it be available for de-chlorinating?
Tough to give an honest answer on this one.
Sulphates can be consummed over time as an energy source (reducing agent) by anaerobic bateria that lurk in the dark recesses of a mature tank. Live rock, deep substrate etc that aren't turned over frequently will harbour these bugs. As they consume sulphate they produce sulphide which you can detect as that rotten egg smell.

This is not a bad thing however as these same bugs will consume nitrate and nitrite reducing these anions to oxygen and nitrogen gas.

There is little danger of overdosing with thiosulphate based dechlorinators within reason. As far as the other ingredients in prime and stresscoat, I suspect they are just buffers and fillers, and beyond the fact that your thickening the soup of chemicals in your tank, I don't see any serious threat-accept to your pocket book.

There are much cheaper sources of thiosulphate, including the old darkroom chemical 'Fixer' if you can still find it anywhere. It seems it getting more difficult to buy straight chemicals these days...

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
for the daily topoffs it has from the time i leave the sink till i get to the tank to work...
for waterchanges it has a few minutes to kick in as i move the hose from the tub to the rubbermaid tub and hook up the pump...

the more i drink the less i worry about it..

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
chesterthehero;2329488; said:
for the daily topoffs it has from the time i leave the sink till i get to the tank to work...
for waterchanges it has a few minutes to kick in as i move the hose from the tub to the rubbermaid tub and hook up the pump...

the more i drink the less i worry about it..
Good answer...I been over thinking it...:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store