Bluegill Tank Set Up

Sean6870

Feeder Fish
Oct 23, 2008
Buchanan, MI
Hi. This is my first post. I've been a MFK member for all of four minutes and don't know my head from my rear when it comes to keeping fish. I was given a 55 gallon aquarium with all the fixin's and I want to keep a few bluegill in it. I have checked with my state game laws and I am good to go.

With that in mind, could osme give me some guideance with habitat ideas, substrate, etc.? How long should me tank be up an running with the right Ph before I introduce the fish?

Help! :)

-Sean:nilly:

skrefany

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2006
Warner Robins, Georgia
www.myspace.com
1st-Do your research on cycling the tank before you add fish.

Read here:http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132494

2nd-I've kept ONE solitary bluegill in a 75g tank before. They should be treated about the same as an Oscar and are more aggressive (info on Oscars is easier to find). You would need a much larger tank to keep more than one (they either have to be kept solitary or in groups of 5 or more, or so I've read). If you wanted a small group, I would check out a smaller kind of sunfish. I think Pumpkinseed stay smaller? Somebody correct me?

Mine got about as wide as the 3 gallon bucket I had him in when I gave him away.

This was before he got real big...

brimp.jpg

le patron

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2008
USA
i'd say 55g BARE MINIMUM for one single bluegill. they grow very slowly, so try to get a juvenile and get it accustomed to aquarium life.they are very aggressive but they are also a lot of fun to keep. they arent very colorful at at all and hide all day so i really dont see why thats the only fish you would want. think about it before you make the decision. i have a bluegill and i have angelfish and tetras. i like the angels and tetras awhole lot more. they have great personalities and are fun to watch. why not get something more colorful and maybe a larger tropical cichlid. maybe a firemouth and a convict or other CA cichlids. hope this helps

DRgrits

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2008
Chester,Virginia
Years ago I kept a few that I caught in the pond out back in a 125.I would put them back in the pond if they had any issue's. I believe I even had a couple of smaller Bass and catfish from time to time. But they are aggresive with each other and like really clean water.And they like to eat-alot!

perfect_prefect

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
iowa
i have some green sunfish which are actually quite attractive as far as bluegills go. they seem to adjust to aquarium life quite well. IMO.

andyjs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Ohio
perfect_prefect;2356452; said:
i have some green sunfish which are actually quite attractive as far as bluegills go. they seem to adjust to aquarium life quite well. IMO.
You are aware that bluegill and green sunfish are two different fish correct? It seems like a when a lot of people talk about NA native fish they think of bluegill or bass, but there are actually many distinct species of bass and non-bluegill sunfish. Personally, I think a large male bluegill in breeding color is a very attractive fish, but there are many smaller more attractive sunfish out there like greens, pumpkinseeds, longears, orange spots, etc

perfect_prefect

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
iowa
sorry, as far as panfish go they are quite attractive. also like you stated smaller and better suited to life in a 55.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store