Puffers bite poisoness?

Magnus30

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2006
Michigan
Is the spotted puffers bite poisoness or is it just there bodies that are, I found my 15" gibby pleco dead w/ what appeared to be a small bite on the nose

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
no, the bit itself is not poisonous. only the flesh of the puffer is poisonous I believe. it has to be ingested to have any effect. :thumbsup:

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
you're welcome :thumbsup:

so, are you gonna try to keep the puffer or are you going to get rid of it like you said in your other thread? shoulnd't cost too much to setup a 29 brackish for the puffer to be in by itself. :grinyes:

Magnus30

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2006
Michigan
I've done some rearranging for the time being, unfortunaly I sold my 70g but I do have a 10g in the garage I can setup temporarly.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
theres a vid of an otter trying to eat a pufferfish somewhere in the vid lounge, think it explains that it is the puffer itself that is poisonous, and not the bite.

USMCtanker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
wa
i never even new they where

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Most Puffer species produce a slime coating mucus on their skin, called Tetraodoxin (correct me at any time).. It is this mucus, which is found most concentrated on the inside of the puffer, that is lethal to humans. In some species, it is supposively more lethal than cyanide! Don't EVER lick or bite your puffers! (Please I hope you don't..)

HOWEVER, personal experience and studies have shown that most Puffers in captivity lose the ability to produce Tetraodoxin because their dietary needs change. So whatever they eat in the wild that allows them to produce Tetraodoxin, is not found in home aquariums. (I am assume it to be certain crustacea or shellfish..)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store