PDA

View Full Version : black sandblasting sand OK?

liberator177
12-07-2008, 7:57 PM
when I was strolling through my local menards by the cement they had what was called "black sandblasting sand" On the back of ther package it said it was made from quartz, Is this stuff ok to use in aquariums? Its pretty nice looking.

Thanks in advace,
John

also sorry about making another "sand thread" I just havent seen any posts about this stuff.

V1xIII
12-07-2008, 10:35 PM
I've heard that sandblasting sand can have some weird stuff in it, various metals and such.

bitteraspects
12-07-2008, 10:36 PM
a lot of sandblasting places use silica sand. i got my sand from a sandblasting supply warehouse.
i would be worried about what they used to dye the sand though. best bet is to ask them what they used and if its safe. they may know

ericifish
12-07-2008, 10:37 PM
if you want sand, just go to lowes and get play sand. i just bought a 50 pound bag for less than 4 dollars. i just rinsed it for like 30 mins in a cooler and viola now its the substrate in my 55 gallon

ohhsweetness
12-07-2008, 10:58 PM
if you want sand, just go to lowes and get play sand. i just bought a 50 pound bag for less than 4 dollars. i just rinsed it for like 30 mins in a cooler and viola now its the substrate in my 55 gallon

btu he may not want white sand

also thre r sharp things in it
i was going to use but yeah decided not to jus went
and bought black gravel instead but i wanted sand o well

crowconor
12-07-2008, 11:22 PM
justget pool filter sand i love it and it looks good

liberator177
12-08-2008, 12:12 AM
btu he may not want white sand

also thre r sharp things in it
i was going to use but yeah decided not to jus went
and bought black gravel instead but i wanted sand o well

exactly, I want black sand not white/ brown/ multi color sand. I think I may end up just doing what you did and buy some black gravel.

nyinfamous2k2
02-04-2009, 6:34 PM
it may be a little expensive but the black sand at petland discounts is awsome stuff. cost me $4. per 5Lbs but its great it has good weight so when i sturr it up it quickly sinks and doesnt turn into a cloud of floating sand that ruins filters, like play sand, that stuff sux. but def go with sand I will never go back to gravel.

nfored
02-04-2009, 10:25 PM
it may be a little expensive but the black sand at petland discounts is awsome stuff. cost me $4. per 5Lbs but its great it has good weight so when i sturr it up it quickly sinks and doesnt turn into a cloud of floating sand that ruins filters, like play sand, that stuff sux. but def go with sand I will never go back to gravel.

that's pretty standard price, you can buy black moon sand from petsmart for 20 bucks for 20 lb back. but the problem with this stuff is if you got a big tank you will need a lot of sand. It took 40lbs to fill my 55 gallon and I still it needs more.

I wanted to add moon sand in my 220 but figured it would cost a a ton to buy almost 200lbs or more of sand. I will be using play sand or pool filter sand.

bitteraspects
02-04-2009, 11:10 PM
you could also go to your local hardware store and look for basalt sand.

Fishermoe14
02-04-2009, 11:21 PM
3m color quartz FTW!!

i buy it for 22 bucks for a 50 lb bag at a local supply place.. check on 3m's website for a dealer near you :D lol

its great stuff.. heavy, round, and looks amazing..

i dont work for them.. its just good stuff

wingate2581
02-04-2009, 11:21 PM
I originally took the (white) sand out of my tank for the large pleco that was in there kicking sand up into my HOBs. I was'nt fond of getting rid of the sand until I put the black gravel in. Now I want to take the sand out of my other tank! If you do go with black gravel I suggest the brand Este's(sp?). It holds the color better than other brands I have tried.

kentwo
02-05-2009, 3:28 PM
3m color quartz FTW!!

i buy it for 22 bucks for a 50 lb bag at a local supply place.. check on 3m's website for a dealer near you :D lol

its great stuff.. heavy, round, and looks amazing..

i dont work for them.. its just good stuff

That's interesting.

I am also looking for black sand.

Hows the color hold? Got pictures? I did a search and only find graphs and charts regarding its hardness.

Fishermoe14
02-05-2009, 4:48 PM
heres pics of color quartz..

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/Fishermoe14/SSPX1881.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/Fishermoe14/SSPX1874.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/Fishermoe14/Picture003.jpg

kentwo
02-05-2009, 9:10 PM
Looks pretty good.

I'll try and find a dealer near here. Hawaii can be a little limited on places to find the stuff.

kentwo
02-05-2009, 9:13 PM
BTW: Is that the S or T grade?

FSM
02-05-2009, 9:39 PM
a lot of sandblasting places use silica sand. i got my sand from a sandblasting supply warehouse.
i would be worried about what they used to dye the sand though. best bet is to ask them what they used and if its safe. they may know

Why do you think it is dyed?

Fishermoe14
02-05-2009, 10:23 PM
s grade..

the color quartz isn't dyed.. fyi..

its a ceramic coating bonded with quartz..

kentwo
02-06-2009, 3:04 AM
Found a guy who sells it here. Around 26 bucks for 50lbs. Sounds like I got myself some sand...

Any tips I need to know about using it?

Also, I'm guessing because its quartz it won't balance pH, would it be a good idea to mix in a small bag (5lbs) of aragonite sand? Would it make a difference?

audiko4
02-06-2009, 5:17 AM
3m color quartz FTW!!

Nice Find!!!

Fishermoe14
02-06-2009, 9:21 AM
well.. if u want.. u can wash it.. lol

i washed the sand multiple times the first time..

for my 2nd bag i just poured it strait into the tank and changed out the water again.. lol

it was a new setup thou.. no fish yet..

kentwo
02-06-2009, 7:27 PM
well.. if u want.. u can wash it.. lol

i washed the sand multiple times the first time..

for my 2nd bag i just poured it strait into the tank and changed out the water again.. lol

it was a new setup thou.. no fish yet..

Wash it? Got it, didn't think of doing that. :ROFL::ROFL:

I read somewhere that the coloredquartz took a while to get cleaned.

Fishermoe14
02-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Wash it? Got it, didn't think of doing that. :ROFL::ROFL:

I read somewhere that the coloredquartz took a while to get cleaned.

when i say wash i mean rinse..

but yea it takes a while to get it coming out crystal clear...

i did put it straight into my 125 thou.. all i did was pour it in.. stir it up a bit.. then did a 90% water change.. it was a new tank thou.. so no fish to mess up..

Nyquil Junkie
02-07-2009, 4:25 PM
the problem with black beauty sandblasting media is that you really have no idea what they put in that batch. Some of it is fine slag from heavy metal smelters, and all kinds of nasty stuff.
Just wet a bucket of black beauty or a similar type black sandblasting media and let it set for a few weeks then smell it.

If you want sand that is too heavy to make a cloud of dust, use coarse pool filter sand. it also does not compact like fine play sand.

WHITE quartz play sand is nice but its very fine stuff.

If you want black, its worth the money to get clean black aquarium sand.... being cheap often gets mighty expensive.

I use a sandblaster to clean engine parts, and I can tell you, every bag has a different odor to it and that tells me, its produced from lots of different stuff.

You can buy real high grade black ceramic blasting media that is really nice stuff, but its more expensive than black sand sold for aquariums.

I wouldn't dump it in my fishtank.