feeding saltwater fishes to aro?!?!

s2000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2006
New Zealand
hello! Just wondering if anyone here feed their aro's saltwater food fishes. I heard that feeding them is ok but never tried before. It is too costly to purchase prawns all the time thus would like to know if anyone here has fed their aro's with saltwater fishes we commonly find in supermarkets. thanks

vtnamezeboi

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2005
you can feed them shrimp and prawns thats all i know.....never heard of feeding them saltwater fishes....kinda ridiculous

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
There is some debate as to the long term adverse changes that offering a saltwater fish as food to a freshwater fish will bring. Most of it revolves around the ability of a fresh animal being able to properly digest a salt animal.

I've used a mix of the two types long term with a lot of success. (Capelin and shiners with the occational earthworm and cricket mix.)

With their natural diet consisting of freshwater fish and insects, I would suggest a captive diet that was close to the same.

s2000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2006
New Zealand
hello and thanks for your replies. I am hesistant thus I posted this ? 1st to make sure. Conflicting answer though...

sam_cj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2006
PH
you can try giving mussels and squid (chop in bite size). just feed him moderately.

AAK350

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2006
Michigan
what other kinda of food do u guys feed ur aro's. i all ways feed goldfish he likes to eat gold fish but the guy at the pet store told me to take him off goldfish cuz its no good for him but i ve been trying to switch to stick food but he will not eat it. umm anything else i should try....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store