Can you convert Mono Sebae's to freshwater?

X3R0X

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Anyone know if you can wean mono sebae's off brackish water and evenually put into just freshwater?

jenBLKAROWANA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Yes you can.....I have a Sebae Mono that has been in a "fresh water" enviornment for about 5 years now.....He is perfectly healthy! We do however put some salt in the tank...Check out my Gallery....He is in the 92 gallon corner tank......

Jen ;)

landmineyouth

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
North Miami
www.djrobriggs.com
I have 3 in pure fresh right now, however i have heard usually for the overall benefit of the fish that they do a little better with some salt in their water, hence I am putting all my mono's and brackish fish into a true brackish tank come july..

Newt

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan's UP
Wow, I've never heard of Mono's in fresh. I thought they were higher end brackish fish. But 5 years of a healthy fish proves me wrong! Just FMI, how much salt do you put in your tank, Jen?

Fried_fish

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2005
VA/MD/DC Area
newtothis said:
Wow, I've never heard of Mono's in fresh. I thought they were higher end brackish fish. But 5 years of a healthy fish proves me wrong! Just FMI, how much salt do you put in your tank, Jen?
1 teaspoon per 10 gallon should be good :thumbsup:

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
5 years in the life of a fish that can live into it's teens isn't saying a whole lot. How big are they? At this point, they should be as large as your outstretched hand. They should be in total marine by the age of sexual maturity. Low-end BW (1.005) is made with roughly, around 1 cup of salt/5g.

jamesdecruz

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2009
uk
mono's will live in freshwater but they won't live as long, they are supposed to go the other way brackish to full marine

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store