Introduction: aro + gigas

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
This morning I introduced my pair of silver arowana to my pair of arapaima. It went fairly smoothly. I figured it was a smarter choice to do it in holding rather than wait until they went out on display. So far everyone is playing nice with each other. :woot:

rust9000

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Cumbria, UK
sweet!! you gt any pics? what size tank are they in?

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
They're just in a holding pool right now in the basement of our new exhibit. Pics of the exhibit pool are in my "Zoo update" thread.

The aros are about 18-20", the arapaima are over two feet and just about a year old. A little small for their age, but I'e been holding back on feeding while the large pool is constructed.

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
Sounds awesome :thumbsup:

twk1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2005
Home
When they go on for display, how big of a tank are they going to be in, and what other monsters are they going to be housed with? Got any pics of your pimas, and what do you feed them?

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
One of them will be going on display, the other will be heading to a zoo in Wisconson. The display here won't house two. It won't even house one for long, but they have chosen to display them while they can. The exhibit is roughly 10,000 gallons. I'm feeding them silver sides and 4" shiners. I toss in smelt and capelin from time to time, but they tend to ignore it.

I'm about to intro my 3 black finned pacu as well this afternoon.

The exhibit will look somewhat like this:
0.0.1 arapaima gigas
0.0.2 silver arowana
0.0.3 black pacu
0.0.6 red pacu
0.0.1 redtail cat
0.0.1 tiger shovelnose cat (want 2 total)
0.0.3 peacock bass (want 7 total)
1.5 banded leporinus (may move to ray pool and increase to 20+ fish)

Maybe my male rays who aren't in breeding rotation. I want to keep the ray pool a controlled female & pup area.....with off exhibit breeding downstairs in my holding. The ray pool will be motoro and leopoldi. Those numbers change all the time with births and trading to get new genes coming and going.

I've got a huge school of various silver dollars to grow up in my stingray pool, then will get moved over to the main display as well. I've also got a 1.1 pair of Jack Dempsy caring for about 200 fry right now. They were to go in the anaconda pool, but I'm going to let them stay with their offspring for awhile.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store