PDA

View Full Version : Treating Bloat with Clout. Is quarantine necessary?

Poekin
02-18-2009, 8:59 AM
I have a tropheus that stopped eating, and is a little less active. I want to treat him for bloat with some clout, but have never used this medication before.

It would be way easier to treat the tank he is currently in instead of putting him in quarantine, but will the clout cause any problems to the other tankmates? He is in a 75 gallon with some other tanganyika cichlids.

Poekin
02-18-2009, 9:40 AM
Upon further reading, it seems furan-2 or metronidazole would be my better bet since clout can't be used with bottom feeders and i have 3 synodontis cats in the tank.

Does anyone have any experience with this medication? I just want to get my tropheus back to 100%. Poor little guy :(

MalawiTango
02-18-2009, 12:18 PM
your better off putting him in a hospital tank.

1) you use less medication (it wont be diluted in a smaller tank)
2) you can turn the heat up to 86F easier in a small tank
3) the fish wont be bothered in a small tank (feel more comfortable, more likely to heal)
4) easier to do 50% water changes in a small tank

good luck, with bloat you have to act fast!!!! you get about 3 days after you notice them not eating.

Marius
02-18-2009, 12:25 PM
Is he in a colony, or just one individual.

Colony, treat the whole tank.
Individual... quarantine the poor bastard in a 20gal and treat for a week.

Reason why I am asking is because I remember something about a "community" tank, if I am not wrong and I think this is a problem due to overfeeding ...

Anyway, a little more details to help out. Clout would be best (individual tropheus) ...metro for a whole setup (colony) treatment.

Poekin
02-18-2009, 12:27 PM
I am going to run out and get him a little 10 gallon tank and some medicine then. Do you have any medicine that you can specifically recommend? Also, what type of filtration should i get? I cant use anything with carbon in it, and i don't have a seeded sponge filter ready to go :nilly:

Poekin
02-18-2009, 12:28 PM
He is the only tropheus in the tank. He has been doing great since i got him, i didn't expect this to happen so soon. He has been on a strict diet of NLS and seaweed sheets.

Last week our power went out and there wasn't any air moving in the tank for a good 6 hours. I think this may have stressed him out and caused the bloat.

Cichlaholics Anonymous
02-18-2009, 1:52 PM
I am going to run out and get him a little 10 gallon tank and some medicine then. Do you have any medicine that you can specifically recommend? Also, what type of filtration should i get? I cant use anything with carbon in it, and i don't have a seeded sponge filter ready to go :nilly:

are you sure you don't have another tank available as a hospital tank? setting up a brand new tank for it would require cycling, and you don't want to subject an already ill fish to an uncycled small tank.

Poekin
02-18-2009, 1:53 PM
Thats the problem i am running into. I am in an apartment and only have my 1 75 gallon tank :(

nitty
02-18-2009, 3:54 PM
i dont have a hospital tank as such either, but i run 'spare' small filters in my larger too tanks so i have filters ready to go and keep a small tank under the fish cupboard. that way when i need a hospital or quarantine tank i just pulll out a filter, use tank water to fill it and away i go. not a perfect hospital tank but at least it works

MalawiTango
02-18-2009, 7:15 PM
what kind of filter do you have on your 75? get a small air pump driven filter the clear plastic kind, put generic "cut to fit" foam in it, tear the filter media off of your filter and stuff some in there too. Instant cycle. One of these:

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-85300140756196/corner-filter.gif

Poekin
02-18-2009, 8:31 PM
OK, i now have a seeded sponge filter and a 10 gallon tank. The tank has an air stone in it and a little jager heater. The poor little guy is in there and i put a tablespoon of epson salt in.

Any further suggestions will be great. Should i try clout? Raise the temperature? I am going to try to get him to eat again soon after he calms down a bit.

Marius
02-18-2009, 9:37 PM
are you sure you don't have another tank available as a hospital tank? setting up a brand new tank for it would require cycling, and you don't want to subject an already ill fish to an uncycled small tank.

Thats the problem i am running into. I am in an apartment and only have my 1 75 gallon tank :(

You don't need to cycle the second tank. Buy a 10 gal, and fill it up with water from the main tank. You can use a sponge filter.

Bloat treatment, stop feeding, 7 days of meds and salt.

Salt is a tonic, as well as laxative.
Meds ..well, meds kill bugs :D

1st day meds (indicated dosage) and salt 1tbsp/10gal
2nd day, nothing
3rd day, 50% water change, meds and salt
4th day, nothing
5th day 50% water change, meds and salt
6th day nothing,
7th day 50% water change, meds and salt ...you can start feeding a little.

Poekin
02-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the treatment plan :)

Can you recommend a good medicine?

Marius
02-19-2009, 2:37 PM
Thanks for the treatment plan :)

Can you recommend a good medicine?

Metronidazole based meds are good to treat bloat.

I used metro (tabs or powder) 1x250mg tab/10gal. If you get powder, use the recommended dosage.

Clout is also a metro based medication.

Start the treatment though, the faster you start it the higher the chances he's going to make it.

Poekin
02-19-2009, 3:29 PM
Ill grab some meds on the way home today.

Poekin
02-20-2009, 8:20 AM
Update on the little guy:

He is in a 10 gallon tank and swimming around still. I dropped about 3 pellets of NLS Thera+A into the tank just to see if he would eat them... and he actually did! I am, however, afraid to feed him anymore because his little stomach is so bloated... what say you, MFK? Should i wait for his beer gut to go away before putting anymore food in the tank?

Right now the tank has 1 tbsp of epsom salt in it and a 250mg pack of API Metro. I am going to wait to get home today and maybe make a small water change.

Any suggestions on anything at this point would be nice. I am really hoping to keep this guy alive.

Marius
02-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Update on the little guy:

He is in a 10 gallon tank and swimming around still. I dropped about 3 pellets of NLS Thera+A into the tank just to see if he would eat them... and he actually did! I am, however, afraid to feed him anymore because his little stomach is so bloated... what say you, MFK? Should i wait for his beer gut to go away before putting anymore food in the tank?

Right now the tank has 1 tbsp of epsom salt in it and a 250mg pack of API Metro. I am going to wait to get home today and maybe make a small water change.

Any suggestions on anything at this point would be nice. I am really hoping to keep this guy alive.

Buddy, are you kidding me?!? His entire digestive track is rotting because of food blockage and bacteria. I said NO FOOD!!!! That's one of the first rules of treating bloat. No food, no lights (less stress for the fish) medication, salt and water changes.

Come on... follow the 7days plan I gave you already.

Poekin
02-20-2009, 1:28 PM
Yeah, i am going to stick to the plan very closely from here on out. I feel really bad for the guy because since i started the treatment he is already more active. He swims up to me when i come to the glass just like he used to, so i decided to throw 3 test pellets in (and they are the small NLS pellets anyway) just to see what would happen.

Hopefully him eating those 3 tiny pellets isn't a catastrophe.

duanes
02-20-2009, 1:43 PM
You should also think about the cause of the bloat. Tropheus do better in species tanks of colonies of 8 or more of the same species, and the bloat may be caused by stress from non-idyllic conditions.

Marius
02-20-2009, 2:20 PM
Yeah, i am going to stick to the plan very closely from here on out. I feel really bad for the guy because since i started the treatment he is already more active. He swims up to me when i come to the glass just like he used to, so i decided to throw 3 test pellets in (and they are the small NLS pellets anyway) just to see what would happen.

Hopefully him eating those 3 tiny pellets isn't a catastrophe.

It's a good sign he's active, but stick to the program. Concentrate on the first steps for now. After 4-5 days if the swelling goes down and he's really active you can soak a few pellets for him with metro and feed him, but I'd rather you do the treatment thoroughly.

You should also think about the cause of the bloat. Tropheus do better in species tanks of colonies of 8 or more of the same species, and the bloat may be caused by stress from non-idyllic conditions.

My guess is that he got bloat from overeating. He's the only Tropheus in a Tanganyikan community tank and he probably eats more than he should since they are so fast at the dinner table. That's one major reason why I think Tropheus should not be kept in "community" tanks, but I won't derail more on the subject.

Poekin
02-20-2009, 3:24 PM
Marius is probably correct. No one messes with this guy, the tank is actually quite peaceful. However, when he was his normal, active self, whenever i put food in the tank he ate WAY more than anyone else. He was just way faster than the frontosa.

fsc46
02-22-2009, 9:19 AM
Add another table spoon of epsom salt.

blkhwk
02-22-2009, 10:24 AM
If you do decide to feed him again soak the food in metro and feed him that way it gets to where he needs it most.

Poekin
02-23-2009, 8:28 AM
Unfortunately they little guy died this weekend.

I think that i was just too slow in treating him. I noticed/thought that he was acting oddly and that something was wrong, but I didn't act right away... partially because i didn't know what to do and what exactly to look for.

Thanks for everyones help and suggestions though. The good news is that i learned alot about tropheus and how to look for and treat bloat.

Marius
02-23-2009, 5:17 PM
I'm sorry for your loss man, but please don't keep anymore Tropheus, unless you build your setup "around" them.

Poekin
02-24-2009, 2:09 PM
I won't be keeping another unless it's a colony tank.