jumping aro's

vtnamezeboi

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2005
is it true arowana's mostly jump because of bad water parameters?
last night my arowana was jumping like crazy......banging his nose on the top cover....his nose is pretty busted now.......

drdpc

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2005
Brazil
it may be possible, but i desagree! My water parameters are OK and they jump all the time!!

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
vtnamezeboi said:
is it true arowana's mostly jump because of bad water parameters?
last night my arowana was jumping like crazy......banging his nose on the top cover....his nose is pretty busted now.......
who told you they jump because of bad water parimeters??

they jump when dont have enough space

they freak out basically.

steve89's leichadti was a nervous nelly until he moved it to a 600 gal outdoor ponds.

but dont assume that becasue they have enough space, aros jump because THEY CAN!!! :grinyes:

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
When I had my aro it would just jump from time to time. He would also try to go for your nose too when you opened the tank lid.

xrtg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
Singapore
they usually jump for a few reasons. first, natural instinc to jump for food. second jump to to escape.

if your aro always jump and swim in a caotic maner it is being spooked by something. so you'll need to observe the srounding of the tank. shadows could spook them too.

;)

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
xrtg said:
they usually jump for a few reasons. first, natural instinc to jump for food. second jump to to escape.

if your aro always jump and swim in a caotic maner it is being spooked by something. so you'll need to observe the srounding of the tank. shadows could spook them too.

;)
there is a problem with that first statement

they only jump for food when there IS food :)

xrtg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
Singapore
DeLgAdO said:
there is a problem with that first statement

they only jump for food when there IS food :)

not necessary ;)

they'd jump if there were something overhead even if it is not food. :grinyes:

but i find that the problem here is the aro being spooked. agree?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
They will also jump and smack the water to help in dislodging parasites.

Younger aros will instinctively jump at moving reflections (ex: bubbles) on the underside of the glass top due to perceiving the motion as being flying insects (a natural food).

Opiate

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Where eva theres Cichla!!!
my jardini jumps all round the tank, and it's very skittish at times, and it's because i need a larger tank... but yeh there well known for their jumping just like the bala shark..

xrtg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
Singapore
they are know to be like that when spooked. is your tank located at a place where human trafic is high?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store