Dubai UAE
I HOPE THIS HELPS GUIDE ALL AROWANA ENTHUSIASTS

SYSTEM CLASS2.jpg

kriztu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
Dubai UAE
guys, about the two classifications for the silver arowana, i really dont know why the silver is classified this way. the O. bicirrhosum is quite familiar to all of us, i gotta admit the O. vandelli is not familiar. so is the S. scheichardti from australia. maybe obsolete classes? extinct species? i really dont know, but im really curious how these fishes look. if anyone can give light on these few dark bits please do. everything else in the diagram is familiar except these two.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Osteoglossum Vandelli is just another synonym for Osteoglossum Bicirrhosum. also included in these are ischnosoma bicirrhosum, osteoglossum arowana and osteoglossum minus.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
I could find nothing on Scleropages Scheichardti... curious, might be an extinct form... or just another name for Leichardti is the most likely.

kriztu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
Dubai UAE
WyldFya said:
Osteoglossum Vandelli is just another synonym for Osteoglossum Bicirrhosum. also included in these are ischnosoma bicirrhosum, osteoglossum arowana and osteoglossum minus.
tanx WyldFa, but why classify it twice? i mean wouldnt that be just confusing hobbyists? or maybe these are old forms of classifications, O. bicirrhosum being the updated class. first time ive heard of ischnosoma bicirrhosum and O. arowana, tanx. how about S. scheichardti, any info on that?

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
xrtg said:
this is something new. :)

thanks.
No, it is something old. The subfamily Herotidinae was recently upgraded to full family status, now called Arapaimatidae. Thus, the breakdown of the two families is as follows:

Family Arapaimatidae includes two genera: Arapaima and Heterotis.
Genus Arapaima includes a single species, Arapaima gigas
Genus Heterotis includes a single species, Heterotis niloticus

Family Osteoglossidae includes two genera: Scleropages and Osteoglossum.
Genus Scleropages includes three species, S. formosus, S. leichardti, and S. jardini.
Genus Osteoglossum includes two species, O. bicirrhosum and O. ferrarai.

The other species listed in the outdated chart are synonyms.

kriztu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
Dubai UAE
tanx icthyophile, perhaps you could add in a new and updated chart for the guidance of other members. perhaps the moderators can sticky this too

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Hey, fishbase apparently has three other purportedly valid species listed in the genus Scleropages:

S. aureus
S. legendrei
S. macrocephalus

All hail from Indonesia and were first described in 2003 by Pouyard, Sudarto, and Teugels.

Does anyone know anything about these?

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kriztu said:
tanx WyldFa, but why classify it twice?
The rules of taxonomy require that the first described species trump all subsequent synonyms. My guess is that, after Cuvier's description of O. bichirrhosum in 1829, someone else, erroneously thinking they had discovered a new species, described O. vandelli, which was subsequently discovered to be nothing but a synonym of O. bicirrhosum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store