what is done with the fish

lookyloo

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
moving
here a question for all those who has some against asian arowanas
if and when a asian is seized from someone what happens to the fish? i personally know people who work at the international airport and was told that many times the employees just to keep them

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
I think they are disposed of in the trash.

Atleast that is what they do with Pirhanas here in WA. Wait a day or two, then throw them in the dumpster :(

rook45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
new jersey
bad93ex said:
That's kind of dumb why dont they give them to a local aquarium?
:iagree:

dacox

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2005
Illinois
Even public aquariums need permits, and they are difficult for even them to get (which sux too)

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
US F&W confiscations get allocated to institutions with the correct paperwork to take on the animal in question. None get passed on to private owners and none get put down unless they absolutely have to.

Most Zoos and Aquariums work very closely with local gov't authorities in this respect. I was on a first name basis with several of the locals in Texas while working there. I was even called in to ID fish in question from time to time. It's midn boggling how many things need paper work. Even "legal" animals in the US may need some random form to be transported across the line. We got a lot of African cichlids that way. 99% of the time, there is an institution willing to take them legally.

As for Asian Aros, we had the permit for the at the Dallas World Aquarium, so we housed dozens (in all size ranges). As an example: F&W had a line on a guy who kept trying over and over.....we must have pulled 50 or so from him over several months. It was a person who was bragging about it in an online forum, so it made it easy to find him. A lot of ours came from attempts at bringing them in from Mexico, but we did get some coming into Cali from various Asian Islands.

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Thats crazy I didn't know that people would try to smuggle them in, in that amount of numbers.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Zoodiver said:
US F&W confiscations get allocated to institutions with the correct paperwork to take on the animal in question. None get passed on to private owners and none get put down unless they absolutely have to.

Most Zoos and Aquariums work very closely with local gov't authorities in this respect. I was on a first name basis with several of the locals in Texas while working there. I was even called in to ID fish in question from time to time. It's midn boggling how many things need paper work. Even "legal" animals in the US may need some random form to be transported across the line. We got a lot of African cichlids that way. 99% of the time, there is an institution willing to take them legally.

As for Asian Aros, we had the permit for the at the Dallas World Aquarium, so we housed dozens (in all size ranges). As an example: F&W had a line on a guy who kept trying over and over.....we must have pulled 50 or so from him over several months. It was a person who was bragging about it in an online forum, so it made it easy to find him. A lot of ours came from attempts at bringing them in from Mexico, but we did get some coming into Cali from various Asian Islands.
What a dumb@$$!!! That would be like bragging to a cop that your about to rob a bank just before you did.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store