WHATS THE BIG DIFF

USMCtanker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
wa
WHATS THE DIFF BETWEEN BLACK AND SILVER AROS. THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME TO ME. MAYBE I JUST HAVNT SEEN THEM CLOSE UP AND TOGETHER.

xrtg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
Singapore
USMCtanker said:
WHATS THE DIFF BETWEEN BLACK AND SILVER AROS. THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME TO ME. MAYBE I JUST HAVNT SEEN THEM CLOSE UP AND TOGETHER.
i've not see adult blacks before. but do know that they are very diffrent when they are young. black aros when young have vertical black stripe across its body that goes away when they grow and silver are just silver.

justwatching

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2005
Las Vegas
preatty much nothing i cant tell silvers from blacks when they get over 28 inchs

rook45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
new jersey
i think the biggest difference is the fin color.....i may be wrong but that's what i notice

kido

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005
i've kept both until about 24" and there is a considerable difference especially if you have them side by side in a tank.. the most noticable is the fins which are blue to black in black arowanas while silver to red in silvers.. the body color is different as well, black arowanas are more a platinum silver shine while in silver arowanas they become a more bronze color especially as adults.. the last is their body shape.. black arowanas are more slender while silvers have more girth in them ;)

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Hey USMCtanker; First...stop shouting. Second, if you "don't get it" about any type of fish, just move on to another species. If everyone had the same tastes, there'd be only one kind of home built, only one model car made, and only one fish site to log onto.

fishyboi

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
HERE
I have a black arowana with a silver, the fin color is different, plus I heard that its harder for a black arowana to get a drop eye

twk1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2005
Home
kido said:
i've kept both until about 24" and there is a considerable difference especially if you have them side by side in a tank.. the most noticable is the fins which are blue to black in black arowanas while silver to red in silvers.. the body color is different as well, black arowanas are more a platinum silver shine while in silver arowanas they become a more bronze color especially as adults.. the last is their body shape.. black arowanas are more slender while silvers have more girth in them ;)
Kido is right! :thumbsup: another thing thats different is the price, Black aros demand a much higher price when still young around the 6-12". And i too... also heard that they do not develop drop eye like silvers do.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
No one has said anything about the fact that Blacks don't grow as large as Silvers... yes its not a lot smaller, but it is smaller by about 8 inches. Most of my wifes fish are under 8"!!

ckk125

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Malaysia
WyldFya said:
No one has said anything about the fact that Blacks don't grow as large as Silvers... yes its not a lot smaller, but it is smaller by about 8 inches. Most of my wifes fish are under 8"!!
you can never know..in captivity, fish's growth rate is not the same as it is in the wild...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store