Arowana Legal Issues....

Gothyc_samurai

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
Hull, UK
www.myspace.com
can i just ask, why is asian aros illegal in the US and silver and jardinis are legal?

is it coz, silvers and jardinis are more likely to die if they are released into the wild? i mean are they not at hardy as asians for weather wise etc.? any help would be great, im just curious.. thanks :confused:

btw my 1 eyed jardini is now doing great :)

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
Theyre illegal cause us law prevents selling importing or owning endangered animals

ckk125

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Malaysia
yes, asian aros are an endangered species...not only because of the aquarium industry but also habitat destruction.

Gothyc_samurai

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
Hull, UK
www.myspace.com
ooh. thats to bad.. this is why i think humanity in general are just dumbf*cks lol we can leave anythng alone

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Asian arowanas are specifically listed under the U.S. Endangered Species Act (ESA) Therefore, even if you have all of the necessary CITES paperwork, you still can't get past the ESA issue.

yuppa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2005
Some of us have been lobbying the us goverment for years to lift the ban on farmed/chip'd asian aro's.

Unfortunately half my friends involved in this have been arrested :(

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
yuppa said:
Some of us have been lobbying the us goverment for years to lift the ban on farmed/chip'd asian aro's.
Well, the splitting of S. formosus into four species may give you another angle. In the past arguing that the sale of captive bred Asian arows doesn't harm the wild-caught population has been rebuked by USFWS responding that it doesn't promote the WC population either. However, the recent splitting of S. formosus, as discussed in the pinned thread, allows you to argue that S. aureus (RTG), S. legendrei (Super Red), and S. macrocephalus ("silver" varieties, including those w/ yellow and grey tails) are not even subject to the Endangered Species Act, because the ESA expressly lists only S. formosus.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
If anything I would think that the three new forms would be listed, and the S. Formosus, or green Asians would be lifted, becuase of how common they are. I suspect that the three new types have already been listed.

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
That would require that the USFWS formally promulgate such regs through Administrative Procedure Act and the Federal Register comment process. Thus far, the only ESA listing is the original 1976 listing of Scleropages formosus:

USFWS profile - Asian bonytongue

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store