silver feeding

aro ahoy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2006
oak harbor
i borught my new silver home today and the lfs has only been feeding him guppies. i dont have the itme nor the money to keep buying feeders everyday and was going to ask that if i just fast him for a couple of days will he start eating hikari sticks , and the krill/bloodworms i feed my other fish?
any input well appreciated thanks

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
aro ahoy said:
i borught my new silver home today and the lfs has only been feeding him guppies. i dont have the itme nor the money to keep buying feeders everyday and was going to ask that if i just fast him for a couple of days will he start eating hikari sticks , and the krill/bloodworms i feed my other fish?
any input well appreciated thanks
Yep. If he doesn't take to it right away, just give him a few days offer him the food everyday, and remove any excess. Eventually he will come around.

Post pics when you get them!!

dirteeboy808

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2006
In the middle of the Pacific
yep, just have to be really patient, I've starved ,y aro for a week, but still refuses to eat Hikari sticks

Couldn't do it for any longer, I've gone to raising crickets, easy, but takes about a month to get started... just a suggestion

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Yeah when I got mine it was on feeders as well. But after like 3 days I got him onto pellets. I fed mine hikari cichlid gold. Mine took a like a week or to go accept krill. But you should be fine.

aro ahoy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2006
oak harbor
thanks guys i really apreciate the help. hes about 5" right now and has very nice color, tons of orange and pink tones with some bluw tinges very nice fish. il post some pics as soon as i get him eating and established in his 75g. thnaks agina for the help

joeytoe

Semper fidelis
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Canton, Massachusetts USA
Ive starved to Silvers into eating frozen krill, bloodworms, Plakton. I usually keep some feeder fish(guppies white clouds, comets depending on the Aros size) just incase to keep them from starving to death. just buy a small amount of a few diff foods an see what the aro will eat, an go with that.

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
I would not feed any fish Comets. They are poor in nutrients, and be expecting dropeye, because with feeder goldfish you will get it (in silvers).

ckk125

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Malaysia
the drop eye thing is not confirmed however, there are many debates going on about this..anyway, stay away from feeders, it'll make ur aro grow fat and it can introduce unwanted parasites and diseases to ur aro.

DrBranDo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2006
Canada
starving will make him take the pellets. Just dont give in. Might take few days, or even more than a week but will take pellets after some time.

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
ckk125 said:
the drop eye thing is not confirmed however, there are many debates going on about this..anyway, stay away from feeders, it'll make ur aro grow fat and it can introduce unwanted parasites and diseases to ur aro.
its not confirmed, but the nutritional value of comets is so low, and with a poor diet Silvers will delevop drop eye much faster. A friend used only feeder comets on 3 of his aros, and all three had drop eye before they were 6", and he did the whole keeping a ping pong ball at the surface. My aros have hit the 14" mark, and only 3 have developed drop eye. While food is not the only cause, it is one of the things that will push the aro more towards getting drop eye.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store