silver vs australian

dacox

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2005
Illinois
Here's a link to info on the silver aro....

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=6234

They get bigger than the aussie ones and require a large tank. I'd suggest reading this species profile and the sticky "Educating MFK on the Silver Arowana" at the top of this forum.

There are several species of Australian arowana, so we'd need more info for accurate info. The most common would be the Jardini Arowana (Scleropages jardinii). Here's the fishbase info. on them...

http://ichtyonb1.mnhn.fr/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=7536

They don't get quite as large, but tend to get more aggressive when larger. Because of this, they often times they will not allow tankmates.

Did you have any particular questions about either?

dacox

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2005
Illinois
Oh... I'd also check the sticky thread "SCIENTIFIC SYSTEM CLASSIFICATION OF BONYTONGUE SPECIES" for the different aussie aros and figure out which one exactly you are being offered. Odds are it's a jar, but who knows.

ROSS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2005
connecticut
wow tough call but the aussie only cuz it look's more like an asian ... sadly (asian) witch is illegal here in the u.s...

dmopar74

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2006
Tri cities washington
im thinking bout putting either one in with my tiger oscar. a smaller arro would be better for me but on the other hand less temper would be good also

rtomber

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2006
Mobile,al
Of all the aro species the jardini i had, had a more passive nature and got along with my oscar really well, uhh mostly :naughty:

dacox

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2005
Illinois
If it's a Leichardti, I'd say go with that because of the "rareness" factor. Personally though, I am partial toards the SA aros, particularly silvers.

yuppa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2005
silvers grow bigger, faster.. You will have a 3' + silver in the time it takes your aussie aro to hit 2'.

silvers are very tame however, and you can keep a wide variety of tankmates.

Aussie aro's, like previous poster said, probably a jardini, are very.. Very agressive. They are the most aggressive aro species in the world. (RTG comes a distant second)

Now i have heard of peacefull community tanks with aussie aro's, i've just never been successfull at it myself.. In my experience even a small 6" jardini will bully and fight with 16+" fish!!
(I had a siamese tigerfish about 16", their an aggressive species themselfs.. I had a large community tank and threw the jardini in there thinking.. maybe these big fish will keep him in line... nope.. jardini and tiger fight all the time, and jardini beat every other fish into submission including a large oscar that could have eaten him!! - I finally sold that aro as it would not play well with others)

Aussies are nice because they have the body shape and fin structure of asian aro's, and their scales are nice, albiet not impressive like asian aro..

So my conclusions : U like asian aro? dont want community tank? Go Aussie!

You want more then just a aro in your tank? tank space not a problem? go silver!

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
It is a personal preference. Pick the one you like better. Each person is different. While I love asians I don't particularly like Aussies, but my favorite are the SA Aros.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store