ELECTRIC BLUE JACK DEMPSEY WITH POPEYE

AmazonAngel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
Colorado
I came home from work today and one of my 2" EBJD's eyes was poping out and extremely cloudy. What should I do? I cant put him in another tank until tomorrow

svtim

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2008
The VILLE
ouch definitely isolate soon start with melafix first then add some salt plus there is other med something like tetracycline. i hope it recovers.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
What are the water parameters?
What test kit do you use?
What are the tankmates?
Pics of the whole tank setup?
Any rough decorations?
What is your tank maintenance regimen?

AmazonAngel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
Colorado
I use a AP test kit (the liquid kind). Water parameters are Ph:7.2 Am:0.3 Ni:0 Na:15-20. I will a water change to dilute the ammonia concentration. Tankmates are 2 Geophagus Tapajos, 2 Geophagus surinamensis, 1 geophagus steindachneri, 8 chromidotilapia guntheri fry, dragon goby, 8 tiger barbs, 2 pictus cats, another 2"ebjd, farowella, royal pleco, and a 1" alto compressiceps. All fish are still small (under 4") so it is not overcrowed. I added some melafix last night. It is a 120 gallon planted tank. As for rough decorations, there is a few quartz rocks and a large piece of driftwood. Here is a pic of the tank:

Attachments

AmazonAngel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
Colorado
Should I isolate him in a qt? I dont have a quarantine set up but I have any empty tank I can fill and an extra filter that is running on another tank so I could take the fillter and put it in that tank. That is skipping the actual cycling process though so I dunno if that would be worse for him or not. I have read that fish with popeye dont have to be isolated.

fatpike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
Puyallup
There are a couple benefits from isolating a fish in a smaller "hospital" tank. One of the biggest being; the medications you're going to want to use to try to save your fish aren't exactly cheap. You don't have to use as much of it when treating in a smaller tank.

AmazonAngel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
Colorado
It has now been 2 days and I have only added melafix and parasite clear by jungle and he is looking alot better. It is about half as swollen and cloudy as its was before :)

wow_it_esploded

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
Over The Rainbow
It is probably because of the ammonia in the tank! The eyes and gills are the first to show signs of ammonia burns.

Also, a lot of EBJDs develop eye problems because of soft water, harder water helps prevent eye issues.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store