PDA

View Full Version : Wels Catfish (Silurus glanis) in NJ

black_sun
03-13-2009, 1:53 PM
I just came back from my favorite hole-in-the-wall LFS...

Anyone in NJ want a 6-7" Wels Catfish?

The owner snagged me as soon as I walked into the store (he knows I love catfish and crayfish, so anytime anything new from either group comes in I get dragged around the store) and showed me the catfish. Man, it is awesome looking. Now, if someone would only build me a pond, I'd buy it. But in any event, it was really neat to see one in real life... I wonder how long it sits at the LFS before someone buys it. I hope it stays there for a while, it'd be interesting to see how quickly/slowly it grows (anyone know their growth rate, off hand?).

mkman
03-13-2009, 11:49 PM
If I'm correct they grow slowly. There is someone with a large albino wels and its a slow grower.

PennReels84
03-13-2009, 11:51 PM
where in nj??

black_sun
03-14-2009, 11:37 PM
If I'm correct they grow slowly. There is someone with a large albino wels and its a slow grower.

Hmm, I wonder how old some of those monsters are that they catch on the fishing shows now. Real cool though, and I bet an albino wels looks real neat. ^_^

where in nj??

East Hanover, Essex County

Acheloos
04-06-2009, 7:07 AM
In fact the wels is like most other fish which reaches large sizes a very fast-growing. Of courese there are a lot of parametres like water temperature and availability of food, but in general they grow very fast. They will reach a metre in a comparably short time, and slow down with their growth when they are about this length, but even then they can grow comparably fast. But anyway, it is highly unlikely that any wels would only come close to 2m in a pond or aquarium.

mkman
04-06-2009, 9:24 AM
Acheloos, the piraiba (brachyplatystoma filamentosum) is a very large catfish and there are many on here who have some for at least a year now and its only 12 inches or slightly more. I would say thats fairly slow growing as a RTC could grow to 12 inches in a matter of months.

necrocanis
04-06-2009, 10:26 AM
I can attest the the piraiba growing slow, but have no expirience with the wels. My piraiba has been eating like a pig over the last few months and has only put on another 2" maybe in like 4 months. Water params are perfect. Did get a bladder infection from overeating, but he's better and eating good again. There is a member that has a fila that is over 4', he said he's had it about 6 years I believe. Keeps it in a 20,000 gal pond.

Acheloos
04-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Of course there are exceptions, so I wrote that MOST fish which reach large sizs do grow fast. Sometimes there are differences even among very similar species. Pikes can show monstrously fast growth with enough food, but muskies grow in general much slower. But there are a lot of big fish which grow very fast, for example arapaimas, the giant pangasius and beluga sturgeons. There are of course even small fish which can grow very fast, especially species with a short life.

necrocanis
04-06-2009, 1:58 PM
Guess the only thing to do it buy one and grow it out :)

Acheloos
04-06-2009, 4:15 PM
I have already read some experiences in german forums from people which had a wels in their tanks. They all wrote that their wels showed massive food-consume and a corresponding growth.

mkman
04-06-2009, 7:04 PM
They do eat a lot I can attest to that, mine is a pig.

necrocanis
04-06-2009, 7:41 PM
I envy german fishkeepers. many sites I've seen monster filas, wels, and jau. Be cool if you could sneak in some pics from some german forums. I can't read german so I'm not sure where to look, but have accidentally ran into some every now and then.

Acheloos
04-07-2009, 6:56 AM
I canīt remember which in which forums I read, because I was not registered there. Last week I was at Berlin, and they have a lot of true monster fish at the aquarium, including two Arapaimas of more than 2m, several giant Pangasius santiwongsei up to about 1,5m and a lot of other giants. They had also an aquarium with two wels, both about 1,-3-1,5m, and one of them was white-yellow. But sadly none of the wels-photos I made from them really turned out to be good. I am still under the impression that a wels is not really a fish for an aquarium, even a big one becomes just too small. Theoretically I could house one in my 10.000 litre outdoor pond aquarium which will be soon finished, but even this could become too small.
But there are a lot of very cool videos of wels in nature and in aquariums at youtube, like this ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf34hkPXHHw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMC2YIzFcWM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjoAtdBo99Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac5QfvC_eWU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abm-D6pp_Mc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDFxmClxE6k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_v6fOLwbus

BTW, have you ever noticed that there is probably no place in the net where you can find so many stupidity as in the comments of youtube-videos?

necrocanis
04-07-2009, 7:04 AM
These guys look much more gracefull and streamlined in the water than out. Most of the time you see them on the banks where they look fat and lazy. Love the massive lower jaw on them! I could keep one in my tank also, but would need to eventually upgrade. 4000 gals doesn't seem fair lol. I know I'll eventually need to upgrade for my filamentosum also, although at the growth he's exhibiting now it will be many years from now.

Acheloos
04-07-2009, 9:02 AM
Yes, they look really highly impressive in the water when they move. Those I saw in zoos were in general very lazy, but they seem to become quite active when they are hungry.

mkman
04-07-2009, 9:06 AM
acheloos, thanks for the video. Saw the first one before of the large wels in the lake and the scuba diver in there. Did not see the others.

I enjoyed the two were the Wels was in a cave and caught two fish. I wonder how big that wels was because the fish were not very small at all!

I think you should give a try at keeping a few baby wels and see how it goes. Document how fast they grow, etc.

basslover34
04-07-2009, 9:10 AM
What always makes me laugh at Wels is how small it's dorsal is compared to the rest of it's body... Looks of No use at all LOL

basslover34
04-07-2009, 9:12 AM
I enjoyed the two were the Wels was in a cave and caught two fish. I wonder how big that wels was because the fish were not very small at all!

Watch the second video again... it was a miss :ROFL: I had to rewind a couple times to make sure

mkman
04-07-2009, 9:21 AM
basslover, your right! Very fast, almost didn't see that.

What kind of fish is that in there to feed that wels anyways???

Acheloos
04-07-2009, 1:03 PM
I think the baitfish are rudds or roaches, they are common in most waters here and cheap fish to feed carnivorous fish. But as the wels is very easy to train to eat dead food too, I would use mainly pellets and similar stuff to feed them. I donīt really like it use living vertebrates as food items.

yellowpieslinger
10-03-2010, 8:08 PM
I have been waitng for one of these to come available at my LFS. They finally have some, all albinos. Now, do I get it or not??? It's going for about $20 and I'd like to put it in with my RTC. Anyone know of any problems with these two together?

amazonfishman
10-07-2010, 1:50 PM
The red tail will out grow it too fast unless the wells is already huge. Are you housing that E cat with those other fish? BTW this is a year old thread...

Just Toby
10-07-2010, 3:09 PM
I have just finished watching monster fish on sky and they released some tiny babies, they grew to between 18inches and nearly 3 feet within 1 year!

This is not a fish for the aquarium, as much as I would love to own one.

Dav
10-08-2010, 3:01 PM
I had a wels my self in my garden pond they do not grow slow mine got from 10"-12" to 3 foot long in 18 months, they are very agressive and try and eat koi the same size as him :( , riped any fish apart thats the only reson i gave him away to a fishery.

Only fish what would live with him was a 3ft diamond sturgeon.

Its one of them fish that you can only keep on there own but they are amazing fish but very aggressive and like your fingure tips whille feeding them.

Dav.

Chefken
10-08-2010, 3:19 PM
are the Wells cold water fish? I have two ponds in CT 1000 gallon and 1400 gallons......would love to put a big cat in there!!

Dav
10-08-2010, 3:30 PM
yes they are cold water can live in water that has frozen over.
Dav.

LBathory
10-08-2010, 3:31 PM
wow. I'm in jersey but deffinetly dont have the room for one of those bad boys. they are ugly IMO too lol.

Chefken
10-08-2010, 4:02 PM
I am will consider one if I can find one too large for my Chain Pickeral to eat....

lamanuts
10-08-2010, 5:54 PM
im in ohio anyone know of one of hand either pick up or shipping

if so pm me

josh