Aro rubbing face against glass

Reno159

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Winnipeg
My Aro has been rubbing his face against the glass for a few weeks already and its starting to affect his fork whiskers. He always has been an extra skittish fish and is now over 2 feet but im getting concerned. Ive also seen my florida Gar doing the same motion rubbing his nose, almost begging for food but i know this isnt the case with the aro. Just wanna make sure hes alright.

fishnthings

" id rather be a goldfish "
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
Pensacola
have you checked your water.. sometimes if they feel its not suitable they will get "irritated" and rub on things

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
The fork wiskers are known as barbels. What size tank is he in?? sounds to me like he is in to small a space. They often will rub against the side of the tank, or dance their heads back and forth on the glass when there isn't enough swimming space for them. If he is in a 180G or larger than it could be a parasitic problem.

fishnthings

" id rather be a goldfish "
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
Pensacola
WyldFya said:
The fork wiskers are known as barbels. What size tank is he in?? sounds to me like he is in to small a space. They often will rub against the side of the tank, or dance their heads back and forth on the glass when there isn't enough swimming space for them. If he is in a 180G or larger than it could be a parasitic problem.
thats true too... y didnt i think of that :screwy:

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Can't think of everything we all are guilty of overlooking the most obvious answer. Makes me feel stupid quite often. "Oh yeah, DUH, why didn't I think of that!!"

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
you can also try adding a powerhead to create more water flow and current for him to swim against.

thou the above is more likely!

RockyGoldy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
Singapore
From my gut feel, I really think that the aro's rubbing against the tank is due to space constraint and is pretty much stressed up....

But sometimes aros do the same thing when they wanted to be fed...but not all the time..

So, maybe we can know what is the dimension of your tank?

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
RockyGoldy said:
From my gut feel, I really think that the aro's rubbing against the tank is due to space constraint and is pretty much stressed up....

But sometimes aros do the same thing when they wanted to be fed...but not all the time..

So, maybe we can know what is the dimension of your tank?
my aro always did that when she was a footer in my 180, it was annoying casue i couldnt see the graceful swimming of a silver :ROFL:

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
What size is the tank?

sam_cj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2006
PH
RockyGoldy said:
I really think that the aro's rubbing against the tank is due to space constraint and is pretty much stressed up....
your guess bro is as good as mine. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store