Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
TankBuster said:
I"m curious. This is not a nocturnal fish. What are the benefits of the barbels?
I think they use it to detect disturbances and vibrations on the surface of the water in order to get prey in the wild. Example - If a bug falls in the water the barbels will detect the splash!

I have also heard of an instance when the barbel was used as a lure slightly above the water line wiggling thus attracting a bird and then BAM!!! dinner is served... :grinyes:

xrtg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
Singapore
Gr8KarmaSF said:
I think they use it to detect disturbances and vibrations on the surface of the water in order to get prey in the wild. Example - If a bug falls in the water the barbels will detect the splash!

I have also heard of an instance when the barbel was used as a lure slightly above the water line wiggling thus attracting a bird and then BAM!!! dinner is served... :grinyes:

interesting concept about using the barbles as luer. :)

xrtg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
Singapore
kaix said:
The below illustration is specially designed to help you understand the parts of the Arowana.
about the operculum....think it should refer to the soft membrane of the gill plates. correct me if i am wrong.

Kieranuk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
England, UK
Nice diagram. I was watching a program a few months ago and they said that the barbles of a silver aro are often used as a lure to catch birds.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store