Need gill curl HELP!!!

xxblwn408

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
iN A sMALL pADDeD RoOm
My 6" aro I picked up from a friend has gill curl. He had it in a 30g, I now have him in a divided 150g. He has about half the tank. It looks like the membrane has curled and is starting to curl the plate. Is this the beginning stage or advanced stage?
I have a powerhead in there, but where should i position it? On the surface with the discharge facing straight out?

How long should i wait until deciding to operate or not? If i do operate where do I get the Finquel (MS-222 or tricaine) the article in another post refers to?

xrtg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
Singapore
if the hard plate is begining to curl it is the beginning of the advance stage so power head will not help.

in such a case you'll need to see if this fella is in good health (usually not when gill curl). if he's in good health transmore him and cut the soft membrane off.

else nurse him back to health and then do the opp.

oh and gill curl is caused when water parameters is bad. so try your best to keep water parameters in tip top condition.

viciousconvict

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Raleigh
yes i agree. it may be worth the risk to give it a week or two to stabilize in the new tank, depending upon how far it has advanced. But if the plate has begun to curl, surgery is necessary. You can also make a series of perpendicular cuts if its early. This will relieve the pressure from the edges and prevent curling for a time, which may be the edge you need to get ahead now that you're in the larger tank. MS222 is available from the vet or aquaculture supply store. I buy from carolina biological supply co. Oil of cloves also works.

xxblwn408

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
iN A sMALL pADDeD RoOm
The water in the tank he's in now is good. I have a silver aro on the other side of the tank.
He is very healthy, but a little stressed from the move.
Where can I get some transmore? How long should i give him to get acclimated to his new tank before putting him under the knife?

xrtg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
Singapore
xxblwn408 said:
The water in the tank he's in now is good. I have a silver aro on the other side of the tank.
He is very healthy, but a little stressed from the move.
Where can I get some transmore? How long should i give him to get acclimated to his new tank before putting him under the knife?
take your time to evaluate the fish. perhaps it's good to wait for a few days to a week cos it usually takes that long for the fish to get use to the new tank. healthy fish will feed regurally.

you may want to check with your local fish shop to see if its available. and be careful with transmore. incorrect usage will kill the fish. :)

xxblwn408

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
iN A sMALL pADDeD RoOm
I ordered some Finquel from Argent-labs today. Just incase I have to step in and do the gill opps.

Has anyone personally done a gill operation to their Aro?

awesum

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Earth
i use to have an aro that got gill curl. so what i did was take it to the lfs, have them put it to sleep or calm it down (i forgot what the liquid stuff was) and then cut the gill curl part with a scissor (sharp scissor) and wahhla, aro is fine. the fish had gill curl twice. after the second time i was fed up so i gave it away.

i had 6 other aros with it that didn't get gill curl so i don't know what made it have that problem.

meiling

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
In your Computer
I'd be interested in hearing how's he's doing after he destresses. Please post the outcome/progression for future. Mine kind of curls over when the tank is fully lit, when I switch to amber, he changes his behaviour, uses his fins fully, up down all over the tanks, full finage waving, practices speeding a fast stops, all along the parameters were consistantly good. I truly believe in habitat enrichment, subtle changes creates a natural curiosity/activity. Mine gets all involved in tank cleaning, stuff rearraging, he swims into the hoses and i have to push him away sometimes, he looks foreward to it. The way I set up lights and h20 circulation completely can determine what his behaviour will be.

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
*sigh* ok

from reading all these post, you guys are telling him how to treat it.

but we need to know what casued it and take care of it from there.

your 6 in aro was in a 30 gal and now is in a divided 150

not bad, as the 2 soarces of gill curl are insuffient swimming space and high nitrate levels or poor water quality.

well it seems space is not the problem, so it has to be your water thats the problem, check all the water parimeters and corrects them through lots of water changes. hearing you say "the water is good" isnt convincing enough.

for all i know you could be a dumb noob that thinks clear water is clean water :ROFL:

no offense of coarse :)

xxblwn408

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
iN A sMALL pADDeD RoOm
:ROFL: No offense taken. The problem (gill curl) started from my friends tank. I just transfered him into my tank yesterday. I have another aro on the other side of the divider and have never had a water problem. I do a 50% water change every 2 days.

The aro has very good form and color, it's a crime to see him with gill curl.

I want to fix what the previous owner has done. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store