silver aro's with dropeye

meiling

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
In your Computer
My silver is 17", great color with lots of red and eyes are good so far. I change around different floats and bobbers so he looks up too. I've read so many posts about dropeye but it sounds like it's genetic. What size/age does this happen?
Prevention?

rottbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
West Des Moines, Ia
it just happens to some both of my big ones have it and they only have it in one eye i have read many conflicting tales of why this happens one scientist thinks that it is so they can look up and down but i dont believe this i believe that it is from diet and inbreeding i have some babies imported from SA and we will see when they get bigger if dropeye takes them over i hope not

dr_sudz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Wiarton, Ontario
www.fishinabox.ca
I have heard its from feeding gold fish, one because they look down to find their food, and second too fatty food.
I have heard of having blinking lights will help keep them looking up and help prevent droop eye from happening but I dont have personal experince to back this up... as of yet anyways...

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
I believe in it being genetic. If it was caused by diet, lighting, tank setup ect... you would see jardinis and asains with it more often. (just my opinion)

If your silver is 17" with no drop eye I would guess that you're going to be ok.....they usually have it by that size.

DrBranDo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2006
Canada
True. Your are one lucky guy. :)
Heard also less lighting will reduce chance of dropeye.
But there's so many reasons, you dont know which one to believe in now.

rallysman said:
If your silver is 17" with no drop eye I would guess that you're going to be ok.....they usually have it by that size.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
I have a wild caught silver He is now about 16-18" and has it slight in one eye. He's never eaten goldfish I feed him lots of shrimp krill and talapia. I don't have anything for him to look up at in the tank maybe I should try something

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
I also believe in the genetic cause, however, feeding goldfish or any fatty diet won't help. I have 2 Silvers that are 14" and haven't developed dropeye yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.

meiling

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
In your Computer
He has never been fed fatty feeders, I've had him since he was a baby. I run 2 amber lights on each end of the tank. He LOVES his tank lit by amber-it's so natural, that color is the closest recreation of an amzonian biotype i can aquire. He gets 8 hrs of full light, 8 of amber and 8 dark. I think I've done all I can to prevent it since zennzzo told me about drop eye when I got him. So, I guess we'll find out if he get's dropeye, I don't think there's anything left bust genetic defects. But, that why I posted this, in case I needed to do more. Thanks to all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store