Dragon/Violet Goby Question

MrRngr94

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2006
Central FL
Are thsese things known for hiding? I almost never see mine. Typically I see him maybe once a week or so, but I've added a lot of rock about 3 weeks ago and haven't seen him since. Don't even know if he's still alive. I would move the rock to see if I can find him, but it's pretty elaborate and it's a major PITA to move all the rock just to get to the bottom one where he usually hides. So is it just mine or are they all like this?

Actually I take that back. I had to take out all the rock and do a major cleaning about a week after I put the rock in. That was the last time I saw him.

One more thing. How fast & how big do they grow? I've had mine for about 2 months now And I don't think he's grown at all.

Scuba Oz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2006
Houston
Its not unusual for fish to hide on you the first couple weeks, especialy a goby or wrasse. That goby does best when kept at SG of 1.008 and can get to be twenty inches in length (largest Caribbean Goby). A difficult fish to keep due to its feeding strategy of filtering planktonic organisms.

Fish Room Plus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
I thought they were fairy easy to feed. They eat everything(once settled in) that fell to the bottom, colr bits, blood worms, ect. Keep the salt at 1.008 as stated above witha PH of 8

Scuba Oz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2006
Houston
I have heard that if you can get them on worms your set and they will be okay, its just weening them still puts them in a hard to feed catagory.

Motoraygirl19

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2005
Earth
Gobys can be very secretive in the aquaria, and I would also make sure you have adequate substrata--enough for them to burrow in. I would definetly do other research on what they eat, 'cause I heard they are pretty hard to keep well fed.
good luck!!

MrRngr94

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2006
Central FL
Mine seems to be eating ok. He actually lives under the same rock where all the baby ghost shrimp live, so I'm guessing he's probably eating them as well as all the "leftovers" that are on the bottom.

eng55

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2005
Ames, IA Iowa State University
When I kept saltwater I had a bicolor blennie and a yellow watchman gobie. The blennie was probably my favorite fish, it was cool to watch it sticks it little head out of its hole and watch over the tank. Sometimes it would be a week though before I would see him again. The watchman was the same way, he would make a hole under the rocks and then disappear and turn up a week or so later on the other side of tank. I think he used to come out and eat the leftovers during the night.
E

freeNINETY9

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Saint Charles, IL
i actually bought a dragon goby to keep in a moderately brackish tank. he would always tend to hide in a piece of fake driftwood. surprisingly, i brought him home the day he arrived in our store and he ate cichlid pellets, ghost shrimp, sinking shrimp pellets, and occasionally rosies. weird thing is i cant find him anymore. i took all the decorations out of my tank minus the one i think hes hiding in, and removed all the fish and everything. i want to start a saltwater tank but i dont know if hes still in there, got eaten, died, or wtf...so i guess ill wait another week or so for him to appear.

.:BACARDI:.

Feeder Fish
May 24, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
I have 2 gobies in my tank and both were hiding on me for the first week or so. Now when it comes feeding time you will see them stick their heads out of where they are hiding at. Then once the food drops they come out to eat and then they hide again.

Occassionally I see them just swimming around grabbing onto the tank during the night. But most often they like to stay under the rocks with just their head hanging out. I read that if you keep small fish in the tank the Dragon/violets will come out more often. You can try adding in some small fish to see if they will come out more. It seems to work in my tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store