My new arowana

jarcher1390

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Cumbria
i whent to a fish shop the other day to buy a birchir buy i saw some pearl arowana for £40 for 3 inches and i thought it would be a good way to get into arowana instead of buying an asian and losing it i thought the loss would be less. i got it bk and and the day afterwards i tried to feed it and it did not take the food so i when and research agian i had over looked that i takews at least 2 weeks. on the 5 day i couaught a moth and gave it to it it ate it i was well cufted :woot: When i came to feeding it some frozen food it was just leaft then i thought it was because the moth floated and i did this to the frozen food it would help Does any one have any suggestions how to get it to feed. I will try and post a pic but my photography skill are rubish so any suggestion n how to take a good pic will be apreciated

sam_cj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2006
PH
congrats on your new aro. you may try variety of foods like dried krill or mealworms. if he still doesn't take it, remove it immediately and try again the next day until he gets used to it. ;)

DanDanUK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
Leeds , England
Arowanas can be picky as they are surface feeders but they will eat foods sinking in your tank try feeding it blood worms and you can even feed it floating pellets the aro will take them don't be too dis heartend it will eat in time as all fish need to give it time to come round to the new inviroment !

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
jardinis are not as much of a surface feeder as silvers or even asians. They usually cruise around midwater, and mine would actually take food more often from the bottom than the top. Or at least waited until the food got halfway down.

Try cut up beefheart, cut up prawns, cut up mussels, he should take them. I bought my jardini at 5 inches and he ate 30 mins out of the bag.

Failing that, buy some live river shrimp.

Oh yeah, and in my experience silvers take pellets but jardinis don't. My jardini would eat everything but pellets, where as my silvers took pellets no problems. It should like bloodworms though.

What tank and filtration do you have him in?

jarcher1390

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Cumbria
rumblesushi said:
jardinis are not as much of a surface feeder as silvers or even asians. They usually cruise around midwater, and mine would actually take food more often from the bottom than the top. Or at least waited until the food got halfway down.

Try cut up beefheart, cut up prawns, cut up mussels, he should take them. I bought my jardini at 5 inches and he ate 30 mins out of the bag.

Oh yeah, and in my experience silvers take pellets but jardinis don't. My jardini would eat everything but pellets, where as my silvers took pellets no problems. It should like bloodworms though.

What tank and filtration do you have him in?
buy river shrimp ill just go to my river in front of ma house
its in a 6'2'2' tank with sump filteration
how do u sex them

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
I would wait until it's around 2 foot before you try and sex it. I'm fairly well endowed and I'd definitely kill a juvenile jardini if I sexed it. I would also only sex a female jardini.

Mine was a male called victor, so I never tried it.

Go and catch some river shrimp, and also mainly try bloodworms and finely chopped bits of beefheart, shrimp and mussels.

DrBranDo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2006
Canada
welcome to the Aro world if it's your first.
enjoy.. it's a wonderful fish.
congrats btw.
post pic when u get a chance.

KJP

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2006
Cincinnati
rumblesushi said:

I agree my jardini dive bombed the bottom of the tank to get after blackworms. He very rarely ate at the surface.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store