My Drop Eye Solution, WORKS!

milk_and_mallard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2005
san diego
The diet thing is rubbish. It's because a 2-3ft fish has the swimming room of 2-3 times the length of its body. Seeing as how there's nothing at the top to look at, in those crampped quarters; it's eyes will eventually look downward out of curiosity/boredom. It then gets fixated that way because the muscles get lazy, relaxed and stay that way permeanantly. You can't change this through ping pong balls. Because an arowana doesn't care to stare at a ping pong ball, there's no incentive for it to look at it as it doesn't play sports, nor is it interested at it as a food item. If you want to keep an arowana without drop eye here is the trick. Either keep him in a pond. Or lower the water level to half the tank then put mirrors where the glass relflectors are and do this at a young age, not after it has it because this is a prevention method, not a cure. Mirrors where your glass reflectors. YOu don't need to replace your reflectors, just tack large mirrors over your glass reflectors, so the arowana sees itself and it's other tank mates on the surface than having to look down. And lowering your water level which allows the arowana to get more of a distant view of the surface will prevent dropeye period. If the water level is up too high, this limits the paneramic view of the reflection because it's too close to it, that and back splash will cloud up the mirror. Lowering the h20 level avoids some of the backsplash which accumulates that white crusty stuff that you see on the side of you tank and on the reflectors. To hell with ping pong balls and whoever came up with that. Garbage. Fat deposits, garbage too, it's muscle/tendon fixiations than fat deposits. I wish people would put some thought into what they read on the internet, than just recite it. THIS WORKS PERIOD. NO BS.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
interesting concept!

my question is, why is it only common in silvers? I understand that it happens with the aussies, black, and asains, but it is rare.

that is the reason that leads me to believe that it is genetic, but maybe there is an answer for that.

by the way, welcome to MFK!

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Where do you mean when you say on the glass reflectors? Also, what kind of aro do you have, and how big? To each his own, but a lot of the members here aren't reciting poetry, we speak from experience.

F

FishHeadSoup

WyldFya said:
Where do you mean when you say on the glass reflectors? Also, what kind of aro do you have, and how big? To each his own, but a lot of the members here aren't reciting poetry, we speak from experience.
but i like the poetry you spew forth...:grinyes:

milk_and_mallard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2005
san diego
Good question. I don't know the answer to that. Maybe it is genetic, but in a different way. Such as the eye sockets have weaker muscles, etc... Not that just every single silver gets drop eye. Because i've seen pond raised silvers and they have no drop eye at all. Their water isn't changed more than many aquarists change their water (pond water in most is least filtered), and the silvers i've seen were fat from the carp that were in the pond. So to answer your question, i don't really know why silvers get it but other aros don't. I know that jardinis swim at all levels of the tank, so they're less likely to suffer from looking down. And most asians are kept in bare tanks that are huge seeing as how they invested so much money into their fish, the extra room and lack of objects to look at below could also effect it in some way. But this method is effective. Try it out with a youngster. Not an adult.

rallysman said:
interesting concept!

my question is, why is it only common in silvers? I understand that it happens with the aussies, black, and asains, but it is rare.

that is the reason that leads me to believe that it is genetic, but maybe there is an answer for that.

by the way, welcome to MFK!

milk_and_mallard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2005
san diego
Forgot to mention that the pond silvers i've seen came from a LFS which would be from the same stock. Not wild, so that would eliminate another factor of genetic imbreeding on foreign fish farms which would result in drop eye. Although that isn't completely out of the question as many questions can be explained through genetics.

milk_and_mallard said:
Good question. I don't know the answer to that. Maybe it is genetic, but in a different way. Such as the eye sockets have weaker muscles, etc... Not that just every single silver gets drop eye. Because i've seen pond raised silvers and they have no drop eye at all. Their water isn't changed more than many aquarists change their water (pond water in most is least filtered), and the silvers i've seen were fat from the carp that were in the pond. So to answer your question, i don't really know why silvers get it but other aros don't. I know that jardinis swim at all levels of the tank, so they're less likely to suffer from looking down. And most asians are kept in bare tanks that are huge seeing as how they invested so much money into their fish, the extra room and lack of objects to look at below could also effect it in some way. But this method is effective. Try it out with a youngster. Not an adult.

USMCtanker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
wa
wow that might be it. who knows. welcome to mfk

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store