PDA

View Full Version : Aquatic turtle out of water for...?

twk1
04-29-2009, 7:06 PM
Just curious.... how long would a fully aquatic turtle be able to stay out of water for? For example florida soft shell turtle, Frt, etc.

Vicious_Fish
04-30-2009, 12:02 AM
I don't know, why do you ask?

cguarino30
04-30-2009, 12:13 AM
depends on a lot of things, if you were to put them out of water, but in an extremely moist environment (damp moss, etc) they could probably exist for a long time, but if you put them on some sand with a heat lamp, I imagine they would die quite quickly. Are you trying to move them or something? I would suggest that you try to move them as quickly as possible, and ensure that they stay relatively moist (use a spraybottle full of tankwater, maybe?) If you're going to try to keep one in a terrarium for a few weeks or something, don't, it's not a good idea.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus
04-30-2009, 12:31 AM
i dunno but they look awesome

jartist15
04-30-2009, 12:36 AM
i bought mine at an expo (florida softshell) they had it in basically a plastic sandwich box! lol it had some paper towel under it that was soaked and water in the bottom. basically very little it had to have been in there for at least 8 hours

Gr8KarmaSF
04-30-2009, 2:03 AM
Depends on the turtle. Softshell vs FRT are two very different things. Also depends on transportation method.

Example - An FRT is NOT used to feeling the gravity of its entire body since its usually in the water 99% of its life...

twk1
04-30-2009, 3:19 AM
Oh i wasn't planning on transporting anywhere.... asking just incase i would ever like to take it out of the water to get a closer look. So how long is too long for such a turtle to be out of water?

cguarino30
04-30-2009, 8:48 AM
I would probably avoid handling in general unless it is a necessiry, try to maintain a habitat that allows you to get a good look without risking injury to the animal.

Gr8KarmaSF
04-30-2009, 10:11 AM
My FRT gets "dried out" for some natural sun occasionally. If its for a short period of time it shouldnt be an issue.

Horiyoshi III
04-30-2009, 4:03 PM
Well, to keep fungus at bay, most softies will bask to dry off.
That is why you need to provide a dry spot that is easily accessible to them.

Unlike a fish, you can keep it out of water for a few minuets to examine it.

I know you said fully aquatic, but I figured I'd throw that in there.

swede
04-30-2009, 4:08 PM
you would be fine just to take a closer look if you wanted to..... referring to time out of the water that is

coura
04-30-2009, 5:14 PM
The main thing here is stress more then drying out. In general handling of turts should be as litle as possible and as fast as possible, most turts dont like to be handled at all and the fully aquatic species freak out when taken out of the water. Remenbar animal well being comes always first;) That being said, unless for a trip or vet, no more then a cople of minutes

evilxyardxgnome
04-30-2009, 5:47 PM
You do realize turtles can breath out of the water right? Taking them out of the water isn't going to hurt them.

coura
04-30-2009, 5:50 PM
You do realize turtles can breath out of the water right? Taking them out of the water isn't going to hurt them.
But can stres them;)

evilxyardxgnome
04-30-2009, 11:07 PM
But can stres them;)

True but it's not going to kill them if you take them out of the water.

Horiyoshi III
04-30-2009, 11:13 PM
So coura, me thinking I should handle my Spinifera everyday to hopefully make it less bitey when it is an adult is pointless?

OP, sorry for derail, but it's better than spamming with a new thread.

krzr3000
04-30-2009, 11:37 PM
How are fully aquatic turtles like FRT's shipped? On a moist towel?

I know sliders come into pet stores in small plastic containers, inside a larger cardboard box (no water). So thats at least 12 hours at the minimum....

Fly River
04-30-2009, 11:46 PM
How are fully aquatic turtles like FRT's shipped? On a moist towel?

I know sliders come into pet stores in small plastic containers, inside a larger cardboard box (no water). So thats at least 12 hours at the minimum....

Its all the same. If they are small, a small plastic container with holes around it and wet paper towel inside. Big ones, snake bags with wet news papers. Its usually 24 hours to ship, I've had no problems with this method. I would say 24 hours would be the longest time with out water but that could push it depending on the weather.

coura
05-01-2009, 8:53 AM
So coura, me thinking I should handle my Spinifera everyday to hopefully make it less bitey when it is an adult is pointless?

OP, sorry for derail, but it's better than spamming with a new thread.
Hummm...no, it will actualy have the exact oposite efect, he will not like that one bit and will learn to avoid you not the oposite;) You have to let the turtle come to you and for doing that all you have to do its giving it time and food, he will realize you are the "men ho brings dinner home" and then the fun will beggin. Wont be dificult, softshells are one of the most inteligent turts and are naturaly inquisitive and love to check everything out, but on the security of their tanks, no in what they view as a alien evoirement(outside tank). Handling it its pretty much pointless, wont tame down by that.