Evacuation Preparation

meiling

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
In your Computer
I live in the moutains but in an extremely high wildfire area. I have been setting up the emergency evacuation plans, when it comes to my aquarium, All I can think of is to have a 20 gal tote with estabilshed water, grab his filters, heater and he's going to have a heck of a ride, but with 1 hour I can get him to a safe house with electricity. General rule is after evacuation the helicopter's drop flame retardant on the actual houses to save them, but leaving him isn't an option. :FIREdevil :SaiyanSmi :angryfire :feedback:

fishnthings

" id rather be a goldfish "
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
Pensacola
whos him.. do you only have one fish, what kind is it???

fishnthings

MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
Pensacola
well sounds like a plan to me.. maybe you wanna think of investing in a battery powered air pump:D

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Go for an AC/DC inverter for you car, then you can run filter heater and air pump. I have one for the long trips I make, so that I can bring back stuff from the big city (Seattle, Tacoma and Olympia). I just bring a 10 gallon with me and some water in a water tight 5 gallon bucket. It is great.

fishnthings

MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
Pensacola
now thats something i havent thought of.... very good idea

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
fishnthings said:
now thats something i havent thought of.... very good idea
Especially when you live in a jerkwater city like I do. No fun oddballs come in. I can't even think of the last time I saw a rare puffer in stock. I travel to get a lot of my fish. Especially since there are places out in Western washington that have really good fish. Saw a 10" Jardini selling for $149.99, and the same store had a new Fx5 for $225. Man I wish I would have had some extra money.

rottbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
West Des Moines, Ia
WyldFya said:
Go for an AC/DC inverter for you car, then you can run filter heater and air pump. I have one for the long trips I make, so that I can bring back stuff from the big city (Seattle, Tacoma and Olympia). I just bring a 10 gallon with me and some water in a water tight 5 gallon bucket. It is great.
i agree but you might want to get a bigger rubbermaid they make them up to 50 gallons now i am not saying to fill it up completely but atleast 8-10" then your aro will have alittle room to stretch untill you guys can get back home its good to hear someone planning ahead for saving their fish

good luck

dacox

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2005
Illinois
WyldFya said:
Yep, that's what I do for moves, and it seems to work great. When I have moved fish, I have just used it to power an air pump for a sponge filter, no heater (I just try to keep the temp in my truck somewhere in the mid 70's and the fish seem to do fine. For a longer trip a heater would be good though. I have used a 10 gallon tanks or 5 gal buckets in the past too, but have never had to transfer any really large fish. rottbo's rubbermaid idea would be the way to go for big fish.

meiling

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
In your Computer
Thanks for your ideas, I do have the converter, I used just what you described (rottbo, wyldflya) when I moved. I'm fairly small and couldn't handle a much larger tote, but I do have a 20 gal with established water and backup heater and air pump ready. I realize wheh he get's larger that wont do. Sounds good, just making sure I was covering all bases.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store