Mar 21, 2006
wyoming
im wondering about the types and if ther all bottom dwellers

Tai95

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2006
Buffalo
That's a pretty vague question. there are so many types of plecos that it's impossible to answer.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Loricariidae is a family that consists of over 450 different species. There is one commonly accepted as a true Plecostomus (Hypostomus plecostomus). If you have a specific one we can help you out though. All of these are bottom dwellers, and many eat algae.

gollum

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2006
Australia
thats how you start out by just wondering...

next thing you know you're looking for another tank...

bigger tank bigger house heh heh

I love the amazing diversity of this family of catfish

btw; bottom dwellers will climb up the sides of the tank for algae and logs placed up the side of a tank will allow good viewing of them too

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
all true. the plecos are all considered bottom dwellers and have their "mouth" on the underside of the fish. as wyldfya stated, there are so many, that there individual needs can be quite diverse.

dark stranger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2006
wyoming
WyldFya said:
Loricariidae is a family that consists of over 450 different species. There is one commonly accepted as a true Plecostomus (Hypostomus plecostomus). If you have a specific one we can help you out though. All of these are bottom dwellers, and many eat algae.

I do have a specific one i believe he is a sailfin pleco about 4 inch's
and i'm wondering if thay grow fast or not.
mine doesn't grow fast at all i'm wondering when i get a 55 galon if i sould get a larger one
because he doesn't eat much.

dark stranger

dark stranger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2006
wyoming
actually i think thats just what the store had on him i think he's just a common pleco

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
dark stranger said:
actually i think thats just what the store had on him i think he's just a common pleco
Post a picture. There is also the Gibby which has colorations similar, but get much larger sails than commons. They do grow to be quite large though.

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
dark stranger said:
I do have a specific one i believe he is a sailfin pleco about 4 inch's
and i'm wondering if thay grow fast or not.
mine doesn't grow fast at all i'm wondering when i get a 55 galon if i sould get a larger one
because he doesn't eat much.

dark stranger
When you get a 55 you will have room for maybe one large pleco, and a couple medium sized plecos. He will grow just be patient. How long have you had him, and what do you feed him? I've had plecos grow larger in months, and plecos take years to grow.

dark stranger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2006
wyoming
WyldFya said:
When you get a 55 you will have room for maybe one large pleco, and a couple medium sized plecos. He will grow just be patient. How long have you had him, and what do you feed him? I've had plecos grow larger in months, and plecos take years to grow.

i've had him about 3 month's he's grown about 1 inch
and i feed him baby shrimp blood worm's and tropical flakes

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store