Safest way to catch and move an aro

meiling

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
In your Computer
When I needed to catch my aro in the past, I have herded him into a double garbage bag inside his tank. I currently don't have a net big enough because I was afraid netting would hurt his fins or cut his body. He's getting pretty big and strong, what is everyone':asianarow :raspberry s opinion on "how to catch an aro the safest, fastest way"?

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
When I moved mine, I used a big game fish net and lined it with a trash bag. It really worked well. My aro is 24" and strong as hell....and he had NO damage when we moved him (twice in the same day)

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
I just net mine, with a large fine mesh net. Mine is white but essentially the same as the one rottbo posted.

f242

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Iowa
i did the bucket pickup before, just stick a 5 gallon bucket in the tank and get him that way...no harm at all.

xxblwn408

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
iN A sMALL pADDeD RoOm
I use an XL bag from the LFS. I tried to use a garbage bag before. Everything was going good, until the aro got scared and jumped through the bag onto the floor along with about 5g of water.
I fell down myself tring to wrestle him back into the tank.:ROFL:

DrBranDo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2006
Canada
way I do it:
lower water level to half
definitely use a huge transparent bag.
open it and fish will go in, directing it might be easier.
let it jump in the bag until it settle.

shoefreak03

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
in my own little world
way I do it:
lower water level to half
definitely use a huge transparent bag.
open it and fish will go in, directing it might be easier.
let it jump in the bag until it settle.
this is the same way i use to get my old silver out of the tank. just hold the bag tight cause they are pretty strong (mine was 24inches).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store