PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Pleco arguement?

TwistedPenguin
05-09-2009, 11:12 PM
I put my two 6" Royals in a 6 ft tank earlier today, they'd never met before. They were laying next to each other shaking, more like vibrating. Each took turns doing it. Neither touched the other nor did they charge each other. Just took turns 'vibrating' at each other. One of them finally just wandered off.
Were they fighting?

uncwnells
05-09-2009, 11:25 PM
sounds like breeding behavior in cichlids!! Maybe its the same for plecos, I have seen two plecos fight and they usually just run the other off.

Edwin
05-09-2009, 11:26 PM
one of them is saying..... "wats shaking???" im just kidding.... i couldnt resist... lol

TwistedPenguin
05-09-2009, 11:31 PM
It was when they 1st met, I can't imagine they'd like each other that much already lol
Edwin-there's on in every group, isn't there? :j/k:

BPags52
05-10-2009, 2:18 AM
My first thought when reading this was breeding behavior, but then I've never seen nor have experience with breeding plecos :D

If not breeding, maybe flirting? ;)

Or could be a territory dispute, no idea really..

zerojquan85
05-10-2009, 2:54 AM
from what i've observe with my mix (Royal, Green phantom, Chocolate pleco) they fight for terrority by using the tail and pushing the other away...

kinda like what cichild would.. but they also use the mouth too..
i dont see much of my 3 pleco fighting tho.. since they are in a 150gallon..

If you want evidence of fighting...there was a video on youtube of two giant medusa or bristlenose pleco fighting each other.. one was picking at the tail of the other... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI-vclItVcM

heres a few more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reTssKA0uMs&feature=PlayList&p=621A3C0CC8471A92&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=103

this one is by far my fav.. A L-114 vs. a Sailfin pleco...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY9GKFIrFqk

Anyways... if ur curious about the breeding behavior of the two royals.. trying getting a pleco breeding cave... or a giant PVC pipe big enought for the two...

but i too have never seen the vibrating or body shaking...

any pics of the two royal??

phobull
05-10-2009, 2:59 AM
Yeah sounds like lets have sex dance ;)

Noddy
05-10-2009, 3:25 AM
Plecos will shiver when they like eachother.
However, when they fight they usually do it too...
But fighting is something different!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcZnyDo24e0

This is my Hypostomus fighting my Pseudacanthicus.
I can tell you if they were fighting, YOU"D KNOW!
The huge pieces of driftwood were banging through the tank and the tank turned into a Snow-globe!
Only fins were torn though.
I also couldn't stop them fighting, I beat them with a stick, NO KIDDING,
and they kept at it.
btw my" Avatar-pseudo" kept the big cave to himself and they only sometimes chase eachother but no more big fights!

TwistedPenguin
05-10-2009, 11:56 AM
I emailed my favorite 'vendor' who knows fish like the back of his hand, it seems. He said it was sort of like puffing up/showing off behavior. It didn't look like aggressive behavior to me at all-certainly nothing like those youtube videos! I just want them to be able to co-exist. This is an old picture of the L191 and the 2nd is the L190 ( posted it here a few wks ago).

BPags52
05-10-2009, 12:39 PM
P I beat them with a stick, NO KIDDING,
and they kept at it.

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

benzjamin13
05-10-2009, 12:45 PM
It's a possibility that they were just sizing each other up as well.

TwistedPenguin
05-10-2009, 1:45 PM
That's what I think,too. Thank you. There just didn't seem to be any aggression involved. They reminded me of little bulldogs puffing their chests up at each other. I guess they managed to figure out their pecking order without violence.

matubula
05-10-2009, 7:16 PM
Ive only ever noticed the shaking/vibrating behaviour with sub 10cm pleco's. My newly introduced L190's (17cm and 22cm) would just chase each other and occasionally 'fin club'.

MichelleL
05-12-2009, 10:05 AM
I intorduced a gibb to a gibb last night in a 90g... did not work out well... I've never seen fighting that agressive before even in vids.. had to move the one gibb out right away. Wasn't hard as they were not even afriad of me when trying to catch him... they were too busy fighting.

TwistedPenguin
05-12-2009, 10:16 AM
I've heard Gibbies can be pretty mean to each other. I've now got a 4" Pekoltia of some sort (maxes out at 4"), a 4" L200, a 4" Royal, and two 6" Royals in the 125 g and they're all getting along just fine thankfully. Looks deserted in there during the daytime but at night with the red and blue lights on that tank seems to come alive lol

Noddy
05-12-2009, 2:20 PM
When there is a real fight plecos will suck to eachothers bellies, and rasp nasty wounds.
The bigger will try to corner the smaller and indeed kill it.
The bigger ones are often aggresive, like the gibbis.
Sorry to hear that didn't work out!

Yanbbrox
05-12-2009, 4:14 PM
I have several different plecos in the same tank, the royal marks it's territory and the others stay away. Sound to me like they are just pointing out 'I'm bigger than you, stay away' regardless of size.

TwistedPenguin
05-12-2009, 5:43 PM
It seems the 6" Royal I've had for 18 months is Tank Boss. He'll let them get up to 3" away from him but if they get any closer than that he raised his back fin way up in the air like a sail and they scoot off. They're all doing great though, the others all hang out together.