beat up aro

baracuda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2005
SoCal
I have 2 baby aros about 2 inches. One of them beat the crap out of the other one. I had to sepparate them and put one in a tank without a heater. I wasnt expecting this so early since they are just babies but......learned the hard way. Anyways i wanted to know how long they could last without a heater with the temp at around 70. Aslo how long will it take for the beat up one to heal?

xxblwn408

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
iN A sMALL pADDeD RoOm
Sorry to hear about the beating. How long depends on how bad your aro is. torn fins will heal in a few days, droped scales take a few weeks.
How big are your tanks? If they are only 2" you could leave them in the same tank and just divide the tank with some egg crate. If not, I would recommend getting a heater for your other tank.
Good luck with your aro's.

dacox

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2005
Illinois
Keep the water pristine. If they're only 2", I'd get them each a 10gal or 20L to recover in. I'd also add some salt to the water (1Tbs/5gal) until they healed. If they are just superficial injuries, I would imagine they should be fine though.

sam_cj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2006
PH
it's really hard to keep two arowanas in one tank due to their aggressive behavior so it's a good thing you've finally separate them. healing will actually depend on how serious is the injury though a week or two or maybe a month will be enough for them to fully recover. imo keep the heater as this fish loves warm water.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
The smaller the aro is the more likely the fighting is unless they are related. Keep them in larger groups to prevent this, like rottbo did. Ok maybe not like rottbo, unless you want 20 aros in a tank. Baby aros are also not as resilient as the adults. When they get larger, they calm down quite a bit. Mine are little chickens hiding in the corner from my new knife fish, and are at the 14" mark.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
xxblwn408 said:
Sorry to hear about the beating. How long depends on how bad your aro is. torn fins will heal in a few days, droped scales take a few weeks.
How big are your tanks? If they are only 2" you could leave them in the same tank and just divide the tank with some egg crate. If not, I would recommend getting a heater for your other tank.
Good luck with your aro's.
If you intend on keeping these two together some time in the future, I would do as blwn suggested with seperating the tank. This way they can see each other daily, and will start to get used to each other. I wouldn't put them together until they are at least 6" in length.

xxblwn408

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
iN A sMALL pADDeD RoOm
I like my fish to be in the most pristene condition as I can possibly keep them in. If you want nice full finnage, straight hard rays and the best looking aro I recommend keeping them seperated.

A friend of mine has had 2 aros together since they were 2" and there fins are always torn, most of the hard rays are bent and the pectoral fins are all bent out of shape.
If you look at pics of most peoples comm. there are always torn fins, maybe a few people get lucky but it's not the norm.

I would think you have 3 options.
1) Get 2 BIG tanks and have 2 beautiful aro's.
2) Bring 1 back to the LFS and get a diffrent tankmate.
3) Buy one HUGE tank and keep at least 5 together.(If you dead set and keeping more than one.)

Just my .02;)

xrtg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
Singapore
just keep water paremeters as good as possible. unless you're keeping silvers the chances of kepping 2 other arowanas together is quite slim. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store