ID??

oscar300

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2006
UK
Hi guys,

This is my new little addition. If anyone could ID him for me (latin and common name) I would be gratefull!! I only know him as a silver??

DanDanUK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
Leeds , England
Silver Arowana (Osteoglossum bicirrhosum )

They grow upto 4feet there surface swimming fish which can jump so i hope you got a lid on your tank and a strong one too they don't call these fish water monkeys for nothing. they eat fish, Prawns, pellets most meaty foods and prepared foods.

They require large tanks minimum tank size would be 180gallon but they do really need bigger Silver Arowanas a prone to droop eye it's where there eye starts to well... droop the fatty tissue behind the eye build up forcing the eye to look downwards.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
wow what happened the aro looks well beat up :eek:

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Silver Arowana Osteoglossum bicirrhosum. They are big eaters, and will grow fast. Need a very large aquarium. Yours looks awefully beaten up. His fins have been nipped quite a bit.

dr_sudz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Wiarton, Ontario
www.fishinabox.ca
I have heard that if you have blinking lights above the tank that they can see it will get there attention and help them to look upwards, some put ping pong balls, but the aro's are smart and can get bored with them so you should just try mixing things up trying to draw the attention skywards rather then downwards. Floating food compared to, to much live
below waterline.

oscar300

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2006
UK
Thanks for all the input guys and girls. He is beat up, dosing with mela fix as we speak. Im growing him on for 12months in my 4ft then he is going into a 7ft. Im glad someone mentioned drop eye, floating food sounds the way to go forward then. Anybody on here got a 4ft fish then??

oscar300

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2006
UK
He is beat up from being at the LFS. Also my Altum took an instant dislike to him an spanked him. He is eating well in an overfilted tank. Seems to like playing in the current, I hope this is normal behaviour?! He also seems very boyant?!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store